Tom's Hardware PC Gaming Tutorial Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

We here at the Tom's Community know you love your gaming PC's, and that by extension, you're gaming experts. In an effort to help you all to share your expertise with each other, we're having a tutorial contest!

During May and June, we're taking tutorials in our PC Gaming section. This is a chance for you to show off your knowledge, help out the community and win awesome prizes!

To enter, write a tutorial about PC Gaming. Simple! Maybe you know how to best optimize a game for performance. Maybe you have a favorite strategy in one of your favorite games. Maybe you know how to get around an insufferable glitch!

You can write as few or as many tutorials as you like. You only need one to enter! At the end of May and the end of June, our panel of judges will go through and pick out our 5 favorite tutorials (that's 10 winners in total).The best tutorials are informative, well-written, and have at least one image or screenshot. They should follow these guidelines.

Winners will receive $60 in Amazon credit to use on games, upgrading your PC, or anything else you like!

In the post below, you'll find a list of 45 games we think would be great for tutorial topics. If you have other games you want to write about or have ideas that don't involve specific games at all, those still count!

TL;DR:
1. Write at least one tutorial to enter
2. Our judges will pick the best tutorials. We'll pick once in May and once in June.
3. Winners receive $60 Amazon Gift Cards
4. You can write about any PC Gaming related topics, as long as they're tutorials.

How do you write a tutorial? We have a tutorial for that!
How to Write a Tutorial

Ready to start? Click here to write a tutorial!

By submitting an entry, you agree to our rules. See the full rules here.

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014
Games to consider (but that you are not limited to):

Grand Theft Auto V
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Mortal Kombat X
Minecraft
Battlefield Hardline
Cities: Skylines
Dota 2
Team Fortress 2
Garry's Mod
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Rust
Borderlands 2
PAYDAY 2
Left 4 Dead 2
Marvel Heroes 2015
Dark Souls II
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Killing Floor 2
DayZ
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Far Cry 4
Middle-earth: Shadow or Mordor
Assassin's Creed Unity
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
H1Z1
Warframe
FTL: Faster Than Light
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Five Nights at Freddy's
Broken Age
Dying Light
Kerbal Space Program
Arma 3
Football Manager 2015
League of Legends
World of Warcraft
Hearsthone: Heroes of Warcraft
Diablo III
Guild Wars 2
World of Tanks
Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Sims 4
FIFA 15
The Witcher III

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014

You've got a point! We talked about it and upped it to $60.

I have played a few games quite thoroughly but then there will be someone else who knows better than me about the game. One question : How are you going to check for plagiarism? There are so many guides out there, no one would ever know it was copied from somewhere

May wish to clarify WHICH XCOM: Enemy Unknown you are referring to. :D OR, if both the newer FireAxis and the older Microprose :love: versions are covered. Admittedly in some markets, the original XCOM: Enemy Unknown was released as XCOM: UFO Defense instead.

The difference is actually X-COM (older), XCOM (newer)

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014

We were thinking the 2012 one, not the 1994 one. But hey, if you have a really good one for the 1994 one...

mystilez

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Universal tutorial : If you're having any problems with PC's, Games, PC Components/Accessories use this!
Step 1) Open up any browser you desire etc Firefox/IE/Chrome etc.
Step 2) In the URL Type www.tomshardware.com or Google your problem followed by tomshardware
Step 3) Make an account! as easy and 1 2 3!
Step 3) Log-in and research your answer or ask the community (for here lies the best online community)
Step 4) Your answer lies within this site or patiently wait for a "PERSON" to reply to your problem!

Done!

... all based on the premise those responding actually read more than your discussion topic line. (I asked about a recommendation for an air cooler in the $40-$60 USD range that was better than a Phanteks PH-TC12DX series cooler, or if that was the best I could get in that price range and I got responses that suggested the 212 EVO (a cooler cheaper than the given price range AND lower in performance) and AIO water cooling solutions suggested.)

When you do get those who actually read the details, I agree you can get some really good help here.

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014

If you wanted to make an original tutorial like that for this contest, it would work as an entry.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
does the tutorial have to be written or can it be video too? i'm in the process of making a review for an mmo in the form of a tutorial because i figured that it would be the best way to go over 1 problem at a time while helping anyone interested in the game out.

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014

Ooh, that's new! We'd take a video! You'd just have to embed it into a tutorial post.

Tripfy

Reputable
May 14, 2015
I'm not sure that writing down lengthy tutorial is nowadays productive for anything, look at steam reviews on games for example, shorter the better, and ppl don't seem to be bothered by it much. With this in mind, here are my best tips for games I've spent my hundreds of hours in.
Payday 2 - Don't play with random players, for variety of reasons - sadly there is a lot of hackers and insta kicking hosts, or laggy hosts.
This game has to be played with friends. Ofc that from time to time, you can have a fun time with randoms, but 90% of the time nope.
There are 4 dificulty settings that drasticly change the game for you and your friends, Normal (easiest), Hard, Overkill and Deathwish (do n't attempt to play the game on this dicifulty until you reach a high level, like 80, due to need for experience in both mission and against enemies, also at start you'll need a lot of skill points to survive).
Try out playing one or two heists on Normal, then see if Hard wouldn't be more fun and challenging, if it doesn't suffice, end it with Overkill dificulty. Skilled players that freshly join the game, may start playing on Overkill from lvl 30+, it's only up to you and nobody pushes you to it:)
Generaly speaking, you want to play diferent missions to enjoy the variety in the game. Don't bother with running one mission 10+ times just to get some achievment, when you'll have more hours into the game, you'll complete the once hard things very easily.
At the start, choose easier missions, don't play all the DLC content, leave some room for later or your fun will burn down:)
If you play with friends, be relaxed and prepared for the worst, this game is about fk ups and it can happen even to the best. It's not like ppl with 1k hours into the game and 20-100 infamy can't fail stealth missions when guard walks into them and alerts civs that alert another guard:D If you'll play with randoms, it's a good idea on stealth missions to first get the hardest parts done before you let anyone join, ppl tend to be...funny and magicly alert the guards.
I won't spoil mechanics of the game, enemy types or missions, their objectives and so on, otherwise you wouldn't have anything to explore on your own. There is just one saying for us PD2 community: We've got a broke dk piece of sh drill:D

Borderlands 2
My tutorial on how to enjoy the most of this game:)
Get yourself a friend or two to play with, go on TeamSpeak, Mumble or other voice over service.
Purchase GOTY edition and buy the extra characters
Watch a video on which class should you choose, it all deppends on your preferences, and also on group you're gonna play with
If you're the lucky person that can take one class and be happy with it forever, start playing with friends, do all the side quests and don't burn through DLC maps and quests too fast. I would actualy recommend to play first the whole game without touching any DLC content, and on next playthrough, start doing the DLCs (otherwise you might have mixed up feelings from main story due to high quality of DLC areas, since they have to be better to justify their price point).
If you're not the lucky first char I'll stick with it forever, the best tip is to start with something that you think you'd like, watch all cutscenes, jokes and references, hit max level 6-7 and see for yourself if you like your role, or not. Give it some time and go through the later skills that you can unlock, and think if you'd like the class more then or not. - Class didn't fit to you? Start a new class, turn off ingame audio and subtitles, play some music (to not ruin the storyline and characters for yourself, if you hear the same joke 6x, you'll hate it more then like it) and do your skill tree research again.
Just a quick info on classes themselfs and their use, at least those that I can describe:
Siren (Maya) - she can revive team mates, send a ball of slag that paints all nearby enemies in purple and they take more dmg, she can heal team mates, and regenerate a ton of health - basic skill lifts enemy in air and traps him for few seconds in bubble - it's usefull for taking down bosses, or if strong enemy get's to you or team mates - Maya is very supportive character and the only healer in game
Commando (Axton) - toss out a turret that draws enemy fire from you on itself, equip it with better guns, shield and boost it's hull - just a little warning, it might seem too easy for your friends when you draw fire on turret, they might get bored:)
Gunzerker (Salvador) - dual wielding guns...watch a guide on him, I wasn't Salvador's fan
Assassin (Zero) - deception class, post a decoy of yourself, cloak and get in better position to either melee finish off your enemies, or to gain advantage over them with firepower that you couldn't use in close combat
DLC chars:
Mechromancer (Gaige) - a girl with mad engineering powers, she has constructed a badass robot that can replenish shields to you or allies, draws enemy fire on itself, slaps enemies, fries them and claps with explosive Tadaaa at the end - also this class has a very unique skill, Anarchy system, simply for each fully emptied and reloaded magazine or kill, you gain 1 anarchy stack, you will be less accurate but will deal more dmg - trick is in not reloading too soon or you accidently lose the stacks, or start healing yourself. Let's just say, with 400 Anarchy stacks you're so innacurate that you need your another unique skill to even hit enemies, but when you do hit them, they surely feel it! All your bullets can ricochet, that means if you love SMGs but hate how innacurate those guns are, with Gaige you won't even notice, you'll hit enemies anyway:) This character also points out that Nah, accuracy is overrated anyway, and has more funny lines like that
Psycho (Krieg) - Melee psycho, you'll hear him scream all the time how he enjoys the combat, or get to know his conflict of two personalities, he screams from joy and from pain, both are enjoyable to him. It's a powerfull melee crazy run ahead character, a badass enemy that fights on side of vault hunters, that will yell his way through the game, and he's not for everybody, I suggest to check a gameplay with him first before you get him as DLC.
Last few tips on the game would be about LOOT. Borderlands 2 goes crazy with it's arsenal of weapons and you need to know few things
Anyone in your party can take any loot, after a tough boss fight there will be only few guns and equipment as reward, and it's for the first taking person - don't take guns and equipment before others can see it, be generous and let your friends get some nice equipment too, think of it this way - you love the gun that just dropped, but you already have 5 of amazing guns, and with this new gun your poorly equiped friend could start dealing some serious dmg, and therefore help you out with the game, and also enjoy the game more.
Due to this loot grabing problem, I don't suggest to play with randoms, as they have bad habbit of joining in middle of fight and taking your stuff, and frankly there won't be justice for you.
There are also loot chests, unlocked with golden keys. Simply search on google for orc Borderlands 2 golden key and you will find page with dozens of keys - just a very, very important warning: Don't burst through the keys, and don't use them until lvl 30+
From these chests, you get always purple guns and equipment, based on hosts level and how far he is in the main story. You will get easily spoiled by these no work needed guns, that will outperform your regular drops, and you won't enjoy the biggest part of the game which is looting and being excited for new drops.

Have fun while gaming, play with friends, if you don't have anyone - don't be so shy and try asking on steam community discussion for ppl to play with, describe your play style, timezone, prefered discussion while gaming or hobbies and see for yourself how a bunch of ppl can make your gaming so damn better:) No matter how bad things are, there could be a person who cheers you up anytime:)
Have a nice day

AndrewFreedman

Editor
Editor
Oct 3, 2014

Hi!
We've had plenty of users who have contributed tutorials, and this contest is our way of rewarding those who enjoy doing so.

All entries must be submitted as tutorials as seen in the instructions for the contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.