Tom's Hardware Readers' Choice 2014: Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Motherboards facilitate communication between all of the different components inside your PC. Picking the right one is imperative to maximizing stability and making sure your machine has room to grow. Your motherboard will be dependent on your CPU of choice, but there are still a lot of options available after you've chosen between AMD and Intel.

To see a complete listing of all of the Tom's Hardware Readers' Choice categories, as well as links to reviews we have done on some of these products, please click here.

Also visit our sister site, Tom's Guide! They are also running a Readers' Choice Awards with a focus on more consumer-oriented electronics. You can visit the page here.

Tom's you might get more feedback on these if you hosted the poll yourself rather than requiring a 3rd-party login. I and others would prefer not to use them.

I love ASRock's Extreme4 line of boards. They strike a good balance of full features without paying extra for things most people don't need. I notice the X99 version up here but not the Z97. I'd also recommend their H97M Pro4. If you don't need to overclock, it's a very robust board for only $80.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Except our polls on the forums do not allow you add items to the list. You don't need to log in to vote, as far as I am aware. And if you don't want to create an account to add things, that's fine, nobody is forcing you to. You can just pretend that it was a forum poll where you wouldn't have been able to add things anyway :p

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
It would take weeks to compile a poll like that, during which there will be inevitable flame wars as fanboys try to push their arguments, and then people who were latecomers would complain about not having a voice in the matter. Our goal is to wrap up voting the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and have an editorial write-up of the results published before we all go on holiday so that people have a sort of general guide when Black Friday and Cyber Monday rolls around.

I understand the dislike for 3rd-party logins, but this was the most efficient way to get this done. The option to make additions to the list is there--whether people choose to use it or not, for whatever reasons they have, is out of our hands. The most we can do is offer the option, and we hope that you and other users will understand where we are coming from with this. We can't make everybody happy, but we've tried our best with this one.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

+1

The Z97 Hero and their Z97-A are prob the two biggest selling Z97 mobos - this type thing would be better off broken down by socket (or even better chipset)....as it is, it's sort of worthless to be honest. Representation by socket is spotty, think I only saw a couple of AM3+ mobos and neither are among the top sellers.

The third party log-in is a turn off also, see no need for it.

T

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Gigabyte x99 UD4 Bought this for my 5820k build. Called their support staff and they walked me through updating the bios on this newly released board and they were friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and patient. After bios upgrade the board has worked great. Their app center is very easy to use and great for making changes without having to go into bios.

bazilizk

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
I had the z97x-ud5h for 2 months . & sold it because of the lack of WOL after power loss.
then bought Asus vii hero & its latest bios (v2012) update isn't stable (a common issue) .
the vii hero lacks the overclock memory profiles.
the ud5h has those usefull profiles.

still prefer the z97x-ud5h

Status
Not open for further replies.