Tom's Hardware Registered Users: Account Upgrades Coming, Please Confirm Email Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
And in return, perhaps you can update the awful javascript login dialogs to a more conventional form that can take advantage of autocomplete?

jimernst

Reputable
Apr 11, 2014
I must be dumb but when I log in and follow the link I don't see anything to check, and I can't redo the email. Please help.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Hey jimernst!

No need to be down on yourself, I'm sure you're every bit as intelligent as everybody else here!

I did notice that your email is already verified though, so that might explain why you aren't seeing anything. You're good to go, don't worry :)

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I must be dumb but when I log in and follow the link I don't see anything to check, and I can't redo the email. Please help.
I also thought that I was missing something obvious when I got a "Your email address is already linked to this account" (or something similar) error message, like a big button that says "CONFIRM."

It turns out that a person needs to update their contact preferences - I had to select to receive a weekly digest email and then update my contact preferences in order to have that green tick.

@mods - please give step-by-step instructions for people like myself who were expecting a big fat obvious button :)

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

That's curious. You should not need to subscribe to the weekly digest (I certainly don't; spend enough time here as is :p). All that should be required is the email confirmation. Will make some test accounts to look into this.

EDIT:

Images from one of my existing test accounts. Email is verified, not subscribed to any updates/emails; green tick visible.

OEZc3Gg.png

JiLKPDZ.png

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
@Titillating: I subscribed to the weekly digest because I was subscribed to everything else already.

I figured that an account will be confirmed if that account opts-in to receive email communication, so I changed my opt-ins and, hey presto!, I was confirmed.

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Cool dude (or chick, or thingy, or whatever you are :) Might I ask you to please alter the text or add a footnote so that people won't have to guess and try random things to get confirm their email address?

puddleglum

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
we're asking our registered users (Hi guys) to confirm the email address associated with their account. It's simple, quick

No it's not. My correct email address is listed in my profile but "My Account" doesn't have the green checkmark. I have no way of indicating this is my correct email. I tried reentering it but gives me the account already exists error. This is ridiculous.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

This is because your email is already verified. And you do have the green check.

z7KALj5.png

AndrewJacksonZA

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

I don't see the green tick.
X1qVpK1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X1qVpK1.jpg

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
Hrm, seems to not be visible to standard users for some reason. Looking into this. puddleglum, I'll likely PM you to work on this with you. Just give me a few moments, trying to get some edits made to the article.

EDIT:

It seems that the green check marks are only visible to mods/admins and the users themselves. Other users viewing your profile will NOT be able to see either the green check mark or the "Verified Email" badge. Instructions will be updated soon to reflect this.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
We've updated both the news post and the detailed instructions with additional information. There will likely still be some issues to work out and we are addressing them as they arise. Many apologies for any confusion being caused, but if anybody is running into troubles, please send me a PM and we'll see what we can do.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Ah I recall you; your username came up during some internal discussions regarding usernames--completely unrelated to this instance though.

To answer your question, no, you should be fine. I'm not 100% clear on whether a username filter will be implemented (many apologies; a lot of these questions are being addressed as they arise, and my information is somewhat limited), but if there IS one to be implemented, it should not affect existing usernames.

In either case, I believe your username will be fine :)

Thank you for the reply. Best website / best community / best mods! :D

Green Tick: Check.
Verified Badge: FAIL
Verify e-mail button/option: Not seen.

I haven't changed emails since I opened this account, and do get notifications from TH where I have authorized them. I assume no problem OTHER than the missing badge.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

Badge is visible when I view it; may be related to my being an admin. From the sounds of it, you're good.

It's curious that some users are not able to see their "Verified Email" badge though. I'll try to get some answers regarding this.

Yeah, I have the green check, but I do not see the "Verified Email" badge. Am I good to go, for flow? You know? :)

Even though it shows me as being a member since 2004, I've actually been here since the beginning with you guys. Even though my post count is low, I do visit here regularly. Love this site!

Also, my user name is my real name! Don't take it away! :p

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
So as it turns out, that badge is only visible to mods/admins--which is news to me! Will be updating the information accordingly, so apologies for any confusion, guys!

So currently, there are two things you should check to see if your email is confirmed:

1) The green check mark on your profile page
2) Whether there is an option to send out a verification email on your account settings page

Status
Not open for further replies.