Toms hardware should benchmark compiling a Linux kernel!!!

clint

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2004
Or compiling programs in LINUX maybe even using K3B for a burning benchmark. Come on TOM get up with the times WINDOWS is dead LINUX and OPEN SOURCE will be smashing throught windows and knocking down gates

linux_0

Splendid
Indeed compiling the Linux kernel is a great real-world test which can be used as a benchmark.

Also it would very interesting to run 32bit as well as 64bit Linux benchmarks on all platforms.

Or compiling programs in LINUX maybe even using K3B for a burning benchmark.

I agree... that would be a useful benchmark indeed.

Come on TOM get up with the times WINDOWS is dead LINUX and OPEN SOURCE will be smashing throught windows and knocking down gates

Now I have a great deal more enthusiasm for Linux than I once did; but I'm under no illusions. Windows is far from dead. Until Linux becomes as easy to use as Windows / MacOS... it will never become mainstream. There are too many users out there that are unwilling to learn anything new.

I hear what you're saying... however I'm talking about people that complained about the move from Win98 to WinME because "the look is too different". How open do you think people like that will be to Linux? Especially if they have to do anything even remotely resembling a command line...

I don't mind Linux. I can see myself getting used to using it... after all I did use DOS for years, and that was nothing but command line. Having a GUI like Linux's is just icing on the cake. I agree that Windows is far more complex (how many millions of lines of code), but Windows is still far more easier to use for most people... and that's all those people care about. You could try to explain until you were blue in the face, but those people would still insist that Windows is much easier to use than Linux. (And in some ways, they're right).

linux_0

Splendid
You're right :D

But consider this:

I've installed Linux for some people and they have never even used the command line.

They were happy working with the GUI :D

Of course it varies from person to person.

In modern distros you don't even need to know about the GUI and you can configure GNOME, KDE, FVWM and other window managers to behave almost exactly like windoze for better or for worse.

:D

Zach_the_Evil

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2005
I enjoy Linux and feel that it is a superior OS when compared to Microsoft (I'm posting from it right now), but I don't think Linux will be defeating Windows at the moment because of the lack of Linux releases for most major games and the lack of a major computer manufacturor that installs Linux by default (and I´m not talking servers).

That said, I feel that a Linux kernel benchmark would be an excellent test of a CPU's performance. Also, perhaps running a game with different compiler options for the kernel would tell us how much of an impact that makes.

Well, it is true that once you have Linux configured the way you want it, you shouldn't ever need to look at the command line again. I'm just speaking from the pains I had trying to enable 3D on my Radeon 9700 Pro... a lot of command line stuff to deal with. After all that pain, it was a matter of ATi actually releasing a driver to support the newer kernel. Not only that, but the new driver was a hell of a lot easier to install than the old one. But, once I got everything set the way I wanted, I didn't have to worry about the command line interface again.

linux_0

Splendid
:D

Early ATI Linux drivers were indeed a pain.

They have improved quite a bit recently.

nVidia has always had better drivers on all platforms including Linux however.

Both ATI and nVidia make great hardware, but to this day nVidia has better compatibility and better drivers on all platforms.

On Linux and *BSD I would recommend nVidia over ATI.

On windoze both are great, nVidia drivers are arguably slightly better.

nVidia also kicks butt in OpenGL which is particularly handy in Linux and *BSD.

Semper Fi Carry^H^H^H^H^H Linux on! :D

TRENDING THREADS