Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Civilization VI!

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
General Info on How To Enter

• ■ These giveaways now span 2 full weeks instead of 1. This means there's more time for you to enter!
    ■ There are now two ways to enter to win! Each person can only win once.

• 1. Enter the raffle via the gleam widget. All we ask for there is a name and a contact email. There will only ever be 1 copy of the game up for grabs with this method.

2. Take part in the discussion in this thread! A discussion prompt will be provided each time. Just answer the prompt to be eligible to win! Eligible participants will be randomly selected to receive a copy of the game.
[widget="https://gleam.io/ym6VH/steam-giveaway-civilization-vi", 600][/widget]

Hey everyone! We've got another great Steam giveaway for you!

Up for grabs are three (3) copies of Civilization VI. As always, one will be awarded via the raffle (found above) and two will be given away to participants who answer the discussion prompt below.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've been eagerly anticipating this game all year long. Now that it's finally here I can hardly contain my excitement. Civilization VI offers new ways to interact with your world, expand your empire across the map, advance your culture, and compete against history’s greatest leaders to build a civilization that will stand the test of time.

And now, for the discussion prompt:

Out of all the Civilization games, what was your favorite civilization to play, and why? Please remember to keep your response respectful or it will be disqualified.

The Steam Giveaway will run until 12 p.m. EDT on Friday, October 28th. The game will be awarded to the winners as a Steam gift. A Steam account is required to receive the prize and play the game.

Probably Civ II as that was the first one I ever played. I remember getting really into it, to the point of making custom units. I recall making a "terraformer" that could convert ocean tiles into land tiles.

Of course Alpha Centauri is of course the best one they ever made though. I still like how it handled borders compared to all the other civ games. The addition of an economic victory was also great.

edit: I probably play as the British more than anything, though I'm not sure why. The naval aspect of Civ has always been pretty weak to the point of ignoring it doesn't really hurt most of the time. Morgan Industries for Alpha Centauri of course.

turbopixel

Reputable
May 18, 2015
Answer: Civilization 1 on Super NES console
I have played the following titles in that order: Civilization on SNES, Civilization 2 on PSX and later on PC and Civilization 5 on PC.
Off course the latest iteration is the most matured and probably the best of all. But to me the first part was and is a very special game. I played it dozen times and I always won by killing all nations. I was so fascinated by the randomly generated maps and how well it worked and how well balanced the technologies was. That time back, I didn't understood all mechanics, but understanding more with every iteration of new game was so interesting.

I can't wait to throw away all my time with Civ6!

The prompt has a couple ways of interpreting it, so I'll answer both.

Favorite Civ series games is #3, I loved the evolving cities and world leaders "advancing" with the age/era.

Favorite Civ is Rome from Civ5, because it's great to get a big headstart on connecting all my cities with roads with the Legionaries, and their civ effect is great as well. Also whenever I don't play Rome, the AI Rome becomes a big threat real quick.

Weboh

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Civ V. It was the first one I played and the one I compare the others to. I have Civ III, but I haven't played much of it since it seems really limited and complicated (if that makes any sense). Workers can only build one thing, it's not clear what everything is (to a Civ V player) buildings can't be built as far as I can tell, and military units are on auto-generate.... Too much work to learn, especially with 200 hours strong on Civ V without having learned all its ins and outs or playing with all the civilizations yet...

Fortrify_Swoop

Commendable
Oct 18, 2016
I honestly loved Civ 4.
There was so much more to do in the game, many more options and it was way tougher managing your civ. Keeping the health and happiness of each city up was a pain but added a cool aspect to the game, and then making sure that your cultural divergence wasn't way high so your cities wouldn't jump ship and join another nation, but then that aspect was also cool for you a great way for gaining cities without conquest.
All and all Civ 4 was great but also a hard pain to deal with but I loved it.

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
I have spent . . . . 50 years? playing Civ II?

OK, that's probably not true, but I have played the ever-living #$%^&* out of that game.
I performed the opening scene of Henry V (Shakespeare theater anyone) at a high school thingy.
It's the one, the only one, of the games I own where the box has survived 4 intercontinental moves. I still have that box, I still have handbook, I still have the tech progression tree. That tech poster hang in between my Fifth element and Star trek . . . First contact? posters.

I mean, I would love to say IV, but considering my wife usually beats me at that I don't think that one is applicable.

Or wait, did you mean, which civilization?
French under Louis XIV for cultural victory
Aztecs or Vikings for aggressive.
Or the Indians so I don't get NUKED! into oblivion by a "it's not a bug it's a feature" :p

Dom_79

Distinguished
The first Civilization was/is my fav. ;-) Been playing that since release (yes, I still play it every now and again in DosBox - yes I own a working physical copy of the first "re-issue" on CD-ROM ;) )

But that's based purely on nostalgia. Every iteration thereafter brought many improvements in terms of both gameplay and graphics. Even if they never stopped Gandhi or Montezuma from nuking the heck out of me :lol:

iapascual

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
As why_wolf said above, Civ II is my favorite, I even modded it a little. I loved the wonders movies.

If the question was about which civilization in the game is my favorite, I have to say Spain in Civ V. The conquistador is an almost perfect unit to expand quickly, it can make a big difference.

Somasonic

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
Civ VI would be my favorite as it'd be the first one in the series I'd play. I know right? Shoot me ;) I played and enjoyed other games of the genre growing up but never got to the Civ series for some reason. Would be cool to finally try one :)

king3pj

Distinguished
Civ V is my favorite in the series. Civilization is one of the main reasons I switched over to PC after being a console gamer my whole life. I have lost entire weekends to this series when I only meant to sit down for an hour or two. I'm really looking forward to Civ VI.

jjim26

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
My favorite Civ game, excluding Alpha Centauri, is Civ V. I never played the earlier games.

Favorite Civ in Civ 5 is the Huns, just builds some battering rams and destroy all neighbors.

DevilxDog

Reputable
Nov 23, 2015
My favorite Civ is IV. I spent a lot of time just playing one nation after another. I also liked being able to have more than one unit occupying a square. Although I like hexagon spaces on Civ V

wildcard1978

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
Civirgil 2 had depth for it time best combat system if any strategy gate at the time with plenty of research and upgrade unit option it broke the mold back then and year to year the newer games improve it but they'll never take away f r I'm it's origins stories

Rificz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Civilization 5 was my favorite by far. It was polished and the Gods and Kings as well as the Brave New World expansions added so much to the game it was almost like playing a new civilization game. There is so many ways to play due to the new religion and culture mechanics introduced in each expansion and every game felt different.

p_hoikka

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
Played only Civ 1 and 3, so it would be the 1. Still remember the intro on Civ 1, man it took long time to generate that landscape, but it was worth waiting for.

heavyartillary9

Respectable
Sep 29, 2016
my favorite civ some civ revolutions for the xbox 360, i played that when i was very young, its not the best, but its what got me into it, and the fact that i played like sooooo many hours on that game!

nimbian

Reputable
May 4, 2015
My favorite would have to be call to power. I didn't really know what I was doing at the time with it other that using cheats and crushing my enemies. Plus the worm hole ftw was nice.

CIV II is definitely my favorite for the nostalgia of me as a young child (9 or 10 years old) playing on my family's Pentium 1 Windows 95 machine. I was terrible at it, and used cheats all the time. But I had a lot of fun. I still remember on one of my most successful playthroughs I ended with the title "Erik the Augustus".

dbronkalla06

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014
My favorite was Civilization V due to the fact it is the only one in the series I have played. I have put many hours into it and I only have been exposed to the base game (no DLC yet)

Civ IV is my favorite because it was much harder with more options. Each city was tougher to keep happy which gave the game more depth. The game always keep me at the edge of my seat to keep the people from leaving my cities.
Civ IV is the greatest but ill give Civ VI a chance to change my mind.

TRENDING THREADS