Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway - Stellaris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016
General Info on How To Enter

• ■ These giveaways now span 2 full weeks instead of 1. This means there's more time for you to enter!
    ■ There are now two ways to enter to win! Each person can only win once.

• 1. Enter the raffle via the gleam widget. All we ask for there is a name and a contact email. There will only ever be 1 copy of the game up for grabs with this method.

2. Take part in the discussion in this thread! A discussion prompt will be provided each time. Just answer the prompt to be eligible to win! Eligible participants will be randomly selected to receive a copy of the game.
[widget="https://gleam.io/6MnBO/toms-hardware-steam-giveaway-stelaris", 600][/widget]

Welcome to another exciting Tom's Hardware Steam giveaway! We have three copies of Stellaris up for grabs this time. Explore a vast galaxy full of wonder! Paradox Development Studio, makers of the Crusader Kings and Europa Universalis series presents Stellaris, an evolution of the grand strategy genre with space exploration at its core.

And now, for the discussion prompt:

How will you rule your galactic empire? Will you subjugate and destroy or rule like a benevolent god?

The Steam Giveaway will run until 12 p.m. EDT on Friday, February 10th. The game will be awarded to the winners as a Steam gift. A Steam account is required to receive the prize and play the game.

Aug 11, 2015
Personally, I tend to play these type of games in a very practical way:
Either something is beneficial, or it's going to be dealt with swiftly and decisively. And the best moments are when the weaklings dare to defy me. So many great memories of playing Spore as a kid (one of the first proper PC games I played) and just nuking anything that was stupid enough to insult me on first contact, be it a single city or interplanetary empire. But hey, the guys that were reasonable, or better yet surrendered quickly, never came out of it badly, and the friendly species I welcomed as allies (and cannon fodder... :) )

Dom_79

Distinguished
I've always played these types of games like an Overlord.

If things are going my way (i.e. people obey and "frenemies" are docile) then I do my best to ensure all around will prosper.
If not then I amass the largest amount of combat units the game will allow and annihilate all opposition (friend or foe) until things are going my way again... or I rule the universe.:lol:

MWP0004

Respectable
Oct 26, 2016
I always tend to rule the empire in a Ghengis Khan sort of way. I go for an early and swift military end to any enemies, before they've had time to amass a sizable force.

iapascual

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
I would be nice to other empires as long as they can't pose a threat to me. If they start getting "too powerful" I would stop them before it's too late.

AlienSoul

Commendable
Jan 31, 2017
I generally try to be non-aggressive in these games as one can build up power. I am certainly not against being aggressive against those who are aggressive towards me. :ange:

MucMac

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
I usually focus on building and improving my own empire and keeping my people happy, so I guess I'm more of a benevolent god type. Until it gets boring and then it's time to strike down with furious vengeance and destroy all those who stand in my way.

TyBreaker

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015
How will you rule your galactic empire? Will you subjugate and destroy or rule like a benevolent god?

I would be tentative while weak, learning and scheming, and then after gathering a largely inferior army, would launch a premature attack, leading to my ultimate downfall - hey, who said I'd be a winner? But it would be fun!

z00rox

Commendable
Dec 21, 2016
'If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.' So much for my ruling anything big.

Maarsch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2012
Well, first off, I would never be the leader.
Let's face it, leaders are a bit too obvious a target.
Besides, you want someone with a more charismatic face. A good smile. Big hair. Small hands. You know the type.

And while the current puppet attracts the assassins, the ire of its inhabitants and wrath of its enemies, I would rule from the shadows.
Unpopular edict #712 leading to that fantastic technological advancement that propelled our species beyond our immediate surroundings at the mere cost of 80% of Mars' population would, let's be real, be squarely at the feet of puppet #4.
And bringing the Martian revolution to an end by dethroning puppet #5 and re-unifying our race under a single banner, well, that was some excellent leadership on the part of puppet #6. Shame about that assassination by that religious fanatic.
Safely in the corridors of power, but never on its dais, I would set things in motion that can really, when properly guided, only lead to the greater glory of our empire.

In pursuit of this greater glory some of you will die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

I would rule my galactic empire as just and fine ruler, emphasizing on science to get technological advantage over other galactic empires. I'd also be passive about conquest and would go to the war only when it's needed to protect my empire from primitive and violent races.

A good example would be Stargate TV series. I would be like Asgard rather than Goa'uld.

tylerhawes

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Rapid territorial expansion, befriend all who get out of my way, destroy those that complain or dare settle space rightfully mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.