Tom's Hardware Steam Giveaway: 'XCOM 2'

Status
Not open for further replies.

commander raj

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
That depends on what 'hype' you are referring to. If you mean, will it actually show up and stomp intel's current offers, like AMD is suggesting? Probably not. I can't think of a time where a pc parts maker has lagged behind as far as AMD is, and then suddenly showed up with a platform on parity or surpassing it's competition.

Now, separate from the hype, focusing more on what consumers want, will AMD become competitive again (especially in the enthusiast market)? Take a look at some of the i7-6X00K reviews. They aren't glowing. Intel's in a transition period since its tick-tock pattern has finally faltered and the mobile industry straight up ignored them, so I'd say the opportunity is there for AMD to jump back into the mix.

snurp85

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Assuming that the hype is referring to the claim that the Zen architecture will be competitive against Intel's higher end core i5's, then YES I do think it will live up to the hype. I think we will see AMD's new line be within 5% of intel's current processors in terms of benchmarks and will be priced aggressively. I dont think it will straight up beat intel's current processors, but it will be close enough to help AMD gain some market share back.

unphazeable

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
AMD hasn't beaten Intel since the Athlon 64 days. I think it'll be difficult for AMD to leap frog Intel (in terms of performance) since AMD has been playing catch up for quite some time. I can only hope that Zen will make things competitive enough so that we can see some type of market shake up.

Gnom

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
I don't believe it. AMD engineers are smart, but it's unlikely they can compete with the sheer numbers Intel can throw at their products.

bandrei

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Is not the first time when AMD brag, they display some nice graphics (for investors) with incredible (more or less) performances, and when times come, the real life tests are not as expected, or we wish to be.
Maybe our hopes are too high, to have a good competition on CPU market, like is on video cards, where we see some nice/exciting releases every year, and we see prices changes, better performances, improved thermal solutions ...

ChooFoolio

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
Nothing can live up to it's hype. As hype is necessarily vague, will dream of unachievable goals as a reaction to hype. Hype's real purpose is in generating awareness of a product and is a marketing tool. In that sense it serves its purpose.

Zen's impact on the processor market is a better question. Will it blow Intel out of the water? Little to no chance. Will it be competitive enough to get Intel more aggressive and be competitive in its own right? I hope so, but the information we have at this time doesn't point one way or the other. The Hype is of no help for answering that question.

Stoneraaron1

Commendable
Jul 22, 2016
I would have to say no. Intel will probably have an answer(either as a response to Nvidia's 10 series or Volta architecture) soon after AMD's Zen launches.

wizyy

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
I do believe it will be AMD's best CPU in a long, long time... Therefore at least somewhat worth the hype. Won't beat the best Intel has to offer, but at least we'll have a very good alternative.

ron baker

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
pound for pound amd will lag intel by 5-8pct but this will be ignored a they will triumph in enough benchmarks to clain equality. Its all about pricing and power consumption, and lets see how the APU'S shape up.

apriest8781

Commendable
Sep 12, 2016
AMD hasn't ever really aimed to make the fastest processor ever, so I think some of the hype is just that... hype. But what AMD USED to do really well is play the value game. You see them doing just that with the RX 480 and I think the new Zen processors will do something similar. If you want the fastest processor out there. You'll still be paying a premium for an i7. But I could see the new Zen processors running between 100-150 and with overclock ceilings that would be knocking on the doors of the core i5 and i7 basic clock speeds. That's what AMD was always good for.. if you wanted to OC... you could do it best on AMD, I think it's possible they could get back to that with Zen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS