Tom's Hardware Surpasses 1 Million Registered Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Hey! Almost as many members as Facebook!

Seriously though...I've been coming here since the late 90's and it has been a valuable resource for me. Thanks THG and grats!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
So that's 1 million plus 5 million deleted spamming accounts? or is it just Resource ID 1 million in the database?

Oh and regarding collecting the best tech guys - good luck! I've very rarely gotten useful solution to a question in the past. Mostly I'll figure it out on my own or my posts go unanswered.

Not to piss on anyone's cake, but most of the questions being asked are of a complexity that merely rivals that of an ordinary computer or phone store. Once in a while someone with nerd knowledge is around, but mostly it's just the average joe answering his neighbors questions with guestimates. Not that it's a bad thing if the goal is to get posts answered - but it doesn't attract any experts.

Edit: Typo

G

Tom's a troller's fish pond, and a big one at that, thanks Tom's for the best fanboy bashing, keep up the good work!, Anon-A-Troll!

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
1 million registered users and 100 trillion pop up add's and 100,000 trillion ad spammers in the comments for buying stuff on phishing sites...........

Well done to Joe especially for setting good standards of behaviour which have resulted in a "family friendly" atmosphere in the forums.

Also, our tech writers have a great habit of posting in the comments sections under their stories and clarifying any issues, responding to related queries from users; and its that interactive approach that I think is unique here.

:)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
yeah the toms forums is the best place Ive found for answering electronic tech questions. rare is the time when Im not satisfied with the answers I get.

[citation][nom]jn77[/nom]1 million registered users and 100 trillion pop up add's and 100,000 trillion ad spammers in the comments for buying stuff on phishing sites...........[/citation]
What I was thinking... Only in the past couple weeks I have been reporting at least 1-2 spammers /day, and I believe I'm not the only one doing that.
Amazing how a tech site can not come up with a way to filter these spammers, given that most of them point to the same websites over and over again.
But hey, we're really good at posting old news and pseudo-news (like whatever app received whatever update, for instance, or what a pseudo-analyst dreamed last night). So I guess it makes up for that.
If it weren't for the 'forums' tab, the one that links directly to people's questions/answers, I would not be visiting this site. My activity on that forum speaks for itself.

G

You should have spammed the 1 millionth user with a flashing "CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE OUR 1 MILLIONTH USER, CLICK HERE FOR PRIZE" popup, and timed how long it took them to close the window.

[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]So that's 1 million plus 5 million deleted spamming accounts? or is it just Resource ID 1 million in the database?Oh and regarding collecting the best tech guys - good luck! I've very rarely gotten useful solution to a question in the past. Mostly I'll figure it out on my own or my posts go unanswered. Not to piss on anyone's cake, but most of the questions being asked are of a complexity that merely rivals that of an ordinary computer or phone store. Once in a while someone with nerd knowledge is around, but mostly it's just the average joe answering his neighbors questions with guestimates. Not that it's a bad thing if the goal is to get posts answered - but it doesn't attract any experts. Edit: Typo[/citation]
Dude, that's the idea; ordinary people ask questions and a bunch of other people jump in and try to help. This forum never pretended to be the ultimate owner of the ultimate computer knowledge, and if you need real expert's advice be prepared to hire one and get the help you think you need or deserve.

Here we just try to help each other and we do that on our own time, for free. Guess what, it works out a lot of times like that, too. I can't speak for anyone else, but PCs are just a hobby for me; however, I can attest I have helped quite a few people on the forums, and everyone that did the same felt good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.