Tom's Hardware's 2011 Gift Guide: Part 2, Last-Minute Extras

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slabbo

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
[citation][nom]RealityClash[/nom]The ginger one scares me...[/citation]
I'm pretty sure it's because she has no soul...she has that crazed look in her eyes. I'm scared too man. you're not the only one.

G

eh.... you put U2410 but in the picture you shot with the model is the U2412M ==

I always enjoy the Tom's Gift Guide. Very tastefully done. I do like the Blonde this year. She looks like a short little thing. I'm tall so I appreciate the opposite. :love:

Oh yeah Sarah was great, had to search back. Alicia was terrific as well.

Keep it up Tom's

G

You guys are gonna be pissed when they announce that the models are all men...

ameremortal

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
I bought this monitor based on the reviews and regret since then. About a half a year after the purchase I started seeing barely visible weaves moving from top to the button of the screen. The longer I worked with monitor more visible these waves were getting. In the beginning I wasn't paying attention to this since weaves were barely visible, but view months later I started noticing that my eyes are getting tired after the more I work with the monitor. I called Dell, the told me to update drivers. I did, noting changed. I called again and was asked to try the monitor with another computer. I did, noting changed. Next time they told me to buy another cable and try again. I did, nothing changed. I called again and finally they agreed to replace it.

Replacement itself is a separate story. In Netherlands they deliver it with UPS, which delivers goods between 9am and 5 pm on working days. On the first day they deliver a new one and on the second day they pick up the old one. In other words you need to be available at indicated address 2 days in a row. If UPS is not able to pick up the old one, the Dell charges you the full price. In my case I had to change the pick up address, it wasn't possible neither by UPS nor Dell. UPS told that only Dell can request the address change, while Dell told that the address change is not any more possible.

The replaced monitor worked fine for the first three months. Afterwards, I started sometimes noticing the same transparent weaves, but after some time the monitor died because of another reason. When I was connecting it to the laptop the image on the monitor was appearing for a fraction of a second and immediately disappearing. I saw nothing more but black screen, even though the the power button glowing blue indicating that the monitor is active.

I called Dell reporting the problem. This time without much of a resistance they agreed to replace it. But, now I had to face the UPS, plan two day for delivery and pick up and run the risk of being charged for the old monitor that could not be picked up.

DELL NO MORE!!!

BTW: The image brightness is very very low. When you work with the monitor you look at very dark image and you have it with the max brightness set through the settings.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

The U2410 uses a 10-bit wide gamut panel and features a 12-bit look up table in addition to CFL back lighting. The U2412M uses a standard 8-bit IPS panel and has white led back lighting (which is not good for color gamut). That's a big difference in specs, and worth the price discrepancy for those who need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.