Tom's Hardware's CES 2017 Best In Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

os2wiz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
Ypour failure to award Ryzen a place of distinction is a total copout. Yjhe product is already going into production. It will be out there for sale in mid Fegruary. There have been several benchmarks that are impressive. They have allowed people to open the competing machines for inspection. This item is NOT smoke and mirrors. It is totally unworthy of this website to deny AMD the accolades it well deserves . There is now real competition unfiolding in the cpu arena and all of us will benefit from it. Also Vega is near release in the next couple of months and it shined. Tou have failed the users on this website. Failed them miserasbly. Fence sitters!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Although I don't feel that strongly about it, I am a little surprised Ryzen didn't get a mention. I mean, Razer's triple-screen device might not even make it to market. Ryzen is almost here, and represents AMD's best bet to catch up with Intel in a long time. Vega we haven't seen enough substance on yet, so I can understand why that wouldn't get a mention. But functional Ryzen chips and AM4 boards were on hand.

@OS2Wiz
Maybe you didn't notice, but this was an article about CES. AMD was not at CES. AMD may be coming to market with a product soon, but we do not have a release date or price yet. There were no announcements about the product made at CES... so.... ya, that is why it was not talked about.

DirtPoorGamer

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
I understand that this would never happen with SATA Express, but there was a time when all new motherboards came with USB ports and there were no USB devices available. I remember telling people "Just wait, they are coming."

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
8K makes it garbage in my book. So what? It's useless for the VAST majority of folks. Come on - let's stop the Ksanity here. 4K is plenty and anything beyond at the standard monitor size becomes ridiculous (as mentioned the start menu is impossible to see and why scale down a monitor?) Silly silly silly Dell monitor. Your opinion may vary.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
U.2 supports NVMe drives ET AL. You don't need to rely on one drive, you need to demand more adapters. The reason you should demand U.2 to M.2 bay adapters is that some of these motherboards have run out of space for M.2 cards.

OK now, there have been many SATA-Express devices, but all were front-panel USB 3.1 breakout panels with onboard controllers that used the SATA output. I believe ASRock and Gigabyte both did those, so there's some reluctance to ditch them completely, but there shouldn't be THREE of that danged things on a modern board.

nutjob2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

"640K should be enough for anyone."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does that response indicate that you believe human eyes will progress to reading smaller and smaller text from greater and greater distances?

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006

In the first place, this is a Windows Issue... Manufacturers must advance with technology so the can put pressure on software makers to fix these issues...

Microsoft actually did work on this issue ( dpi scaling ) but they still to work harder, specially with thousands of legacy designed apps...

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I'm happy to see a credible website finally giving SATA Express the $!t it needs...

And also happy to see manufacturers started to actually make 5gbps ethernet products, though disappointed not to see actual switches, routers & AP with it...

I think I'll have to buy a cheap 1gb switch this time... sadly the AP I'm looking for will not have 5gbps port in any time soon, Ubiquiti thinks current WiFi doesn't saturate 1gb connections, so their next upgrade ( UAP-AC-HD ) might only come with 2x LAG 1gb connections...

And still waiting for proper Ultrawide 1440p HDR monitor... a fast 144Hz will be nice also with both G-Sync and FreeSync versions...
Why not make a single monitor that can support both ?

BTW, these new motherboards.. any one knows if they incorporate a new header for USB 3.1 gen 2 ? yeah and I'm still missing major move for cases with 3.1 Gen2 Type-C.. there's still very few options out there...

I'm not a fan of VR headsets at this point, but if this totem is truly lag free, that could change things; plus AR and VR in one?

That said I may be most excited about the cup holder from this year's showing.

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
Ryzen was physically at CES - AMD had multiple Systems there, they were covered in a multitude of articles and videos. No they are not buyable on the street yet but does anyone doubt they will be?

Why Tomshardware does not think the biggest news in the cpu market in the last 5 years is worth a place here is beyond me. Vega I can understand (even though cards were present too, it will take until sometime Q2 to get to market and availability is doubtful before Q3 in my opinion) but ryzen is pretty much knocking at the door at this point.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

How is it that you know Ryzen was there? Because sites leaked and/or reported on leaks from CES? We're excited to see what Ryzen can do when it's ready and we have our hands on it, but we're not going to base even a "best of show" on a leak, no matter how official it sounds. Having dinner with Lisa Su at CES probably would rank as a "best dinner at CES" award, though . . . I shoulda thought of that.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's going to take more than one photo for me to believe it was the Best of CES dinner...

While Linus wasn't at dinner when this was filmed, AMD Ryzen was at CES and made a rather bold stand against Intel. LinusTechTips: AMD Has Ryzen! Yes, Linus is still milking that joke about Ryzen vs Risen pronunciation.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Well we saw the same demos (in the Linus video) and we had briefings, and that's quite a limited set of performance characteristics from which to jump to such early conclusions, especially given how little we know (still) about the CPU (officially, anyway).

I agree that it's hard to find confirmation for information but we do know for sure that clock for clock the Zen CPU beats an i7 6950X. This means that IPC is higher but I haven't seen absolute numbers for clock speeds.

nutjob2

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

Imagine a world where there was this thing called software, and that software let you render text at any size you wanted...

Seriously, if you think that the fact that there exists some braindead software can't handle high pixel densities is an argument against 8K screens, then you should probably find yourself another job. I guess you'll be renouncing high end phones next due to their evil high pixel densities and their life threatening ability to display tiny text.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, so the name may be apropos, I thought maybe it was a play on your actual line of work.You'll notice I didn't renounce anything and was only referring to your last comment :D

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Best new motherboard feature

"but at least the technology has begun its decent to the market. "

descent is the word you want. Decent means it doesn't suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.