Tom's Holiday Buyer's Guide 2008, Part 1

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamregan

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
You're really giving Alicia a workout this year lifty 30" monitors and that fragbox. Legion's info on the 30" 2008 model Dell is correct - definately some issues. I'm using the 2007 and loving it. The refresh rate really isn't an issue for me, but as mentioned, you're going to need a 4870X2, GTX280 or higher for some of the newer titles. Age of Conan @ 2560x1600 is beautifull!

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
I play on the prior year's model (3007) all the time without any problems. Don't pass up gaming on a 30" display without at least trying it for yourself!

Not everyone has 2k to drop on a panel to see if there is significant ghosting problems and slow response time while in game.

There quite a few 2ms 24" and 22" displays that I would sooner buy/test.

There is also the problem of the native resolution which will require a beefy gpu setup to drive games at respectable settings.

I wouldn't mind having this at work though, plenty of space to organize folders, apps and remote terms.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
cool article but it would be better if they can try next time to at least recommend gifts that don't require you to own your own oil company or be bill gates in order to afford

D++

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
blond++;

Santa Baby, a 30" Samsung TFT too, dark grey with a blond elf. I've been an awfully good girl.

nice to see another girl on here! and thanks for the compliment. you should know that my nickname is D++!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
"well you can... CRT vs LCD is quite clear."

Indeed it is! my LCD looks much charper much cleaner and works just as good in games as my good old p815 21" viewsonic tank did! So yeah its quite clear i would never go back to a CRT As my 30" samsung 305T not only does the same job it does it at a much much much better quality then my CRT could only dream of doing.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
O and yeah the girls... not so great. i guess if i was with someone for a really long time and never had anything better to look at then yeah they might be attractive but no they arent sorry.

BTW dont complain about HD video on DVI for christ sake it wasnt even ment to be used on anything other then HDMI.

cushgod

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
The Computer Science degree girl is awesome!!!!! She shoudl be in most of the pics!!! She goes perfect holding that "hardware"!! Soo smart and beautiful!!!! I will have my CS degree summer of 09! and you should smile you look Amazing when you do!! Take Care!

D++

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
The Computer Science degree girl is awesome!!!!! She shoudl be in most of the pics!!! She goes perfect holding that "hardware"!! Soo smart and beautiful!!!! I will have my CS degree summer of 09! and you should smile you look Amazing when you do!! Take Care!

aww thanks!!! good luck finishing your degree! mine is actually computer engineering, but it's pretty much the same thing anyway...

Hapcorrolr

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]crockdaddy[/nom]Both ladies are quite lovely. If I recall correctly wasn't it Tamara whom graced the last two years as the xmas model?[/citation]

I think that was Sarah.

Loremaster

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
OK, i tried to post this yesterday...
I don't know why this monitor is even being suggested???????

You can buy a Samsung 42" HDTV with full 1080p 5ms response, and multiple inputs, and better quality video for half the price, or purchase the 50" at Amazon.com for $100 more than this 30 inch piece of "JUNK" is going for!

There is no logical reason on earth to pay that much for what is "ONLY" a monitor!!!!!!!!!!

No one should purchase this piece of CRAP!
I vote for a NEW hardware guy, Ed has been smoking something illegal!

bliq

Distinguished
Uh, that monitor displays at 2560x1600- no hdtvs can do that. If you need the real estate (like I sometimes do) and you have the graphics for it, then it's pretty good. Personally, I don't game at that resolution and use dual 24s for work, even more real estate for much less money.

MTLance

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
:'( Sarah is gone. I understand that Sarah didn't do the modeling anyway because she got a lot of editing work to do. I'm just feeling sad to missed her.

Status
Not open for further replies.