Tom's Journalistic Spanking

G

Tom went through quite a bit of effort to explain how info about a new processor cannot be found all in a day, and that it takes time to sort out all the details.

Yet knowing this, for some reason he made brash conclusions after only the second article that you should not recommend the P4 for anyone to buy. In fact he even used joking sarcasm in his anti-recommendation that was so premature, he felt compelled to *change the article after it was published*.

Changing commentary after the fact is tantamount to a retraction, which is tantamount to a journalistic spanking.

Do I fault Tom for not having perfect P4 information at an early stage? Of course not.

But making brash conclusions that you are not willing to stand behind 2 days later, and trying to justify it by saying new facts are available? This is unprofessional.

*** It's not the point that new facts are available - the point is jumping the gun on conclusions before all the facts are in, and then not admitting the mistake.***

Now some disclaimers:
- I'm not a Tom hater - he has done some great work and filled an important need in the space of hardware reporting. Credit gladly given where deserved.

- I'm not an Intel lover - for god's sake I own AMD stock!

The bottom line is, it was a mistake. Just please use the word "mistake" or "retraction" (which was never done), and make us feel you learned from the experience, rather than making us feel you are trying talk around the words "mistake" or "retraction" like a politician would do.

G

I will pay alot more for a processor that has a built-in heat break, rather than pay for a cpu made for 14yr gamers.
hence, the P4 is for more serious work. And I guess if you can't afford it then don't down ppl that can.

tom is so biased, he walks like this /

Rop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i do ahve to agree with you that Tom in this case may have jumped to a conclusion to soon. But i have to admire his courage in doing more reviews that might reflect a difrent light on the P4.
Fact is that i do understand why Tom made his conclusion and happen to agree with them since price/performance is an issue. But he should wait and see to what comes down the road to make a conclusion.

On the other hand Tom has been the only one with the balls to do so, so kudos to Tom in my opinion.

Why do I use LINUX ? Cause its the BEST OS
Why do I use Windows? Cause its the BEST Nintendo..

G

P4 made for serious work? Haha, that's a laugh. Maybe you missed the boat, but the P3 did better than the P4 in pretty much everything. The Athlon spanked it in almost everything. One day in the not too distant future, the P4 may be a worthwhile processor, but right now it is nothing more than a gimmick so Intel can say that it has the 'fastest' processor in the market. Right now it is not worth the money. Someday, it might be, but it isn't right now. Tom said that very clearly in the article, but you must not read too good. He also said that there is no reason for any normal person to go out and buy a 1Ghz processor a few months ago, which was also absolutely correct. Why do you even give a crap about a processor that won't even be useful for at least 6 months anyway? Sure, it may be faster with SSE2, but who cares? I want to know how it's going to run with my current software, which I have no plans to change in the near future. It runs like @#$%. End of story.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I fail to see where Tom has made a mistake, as you say.

The way I see it. Tom ran some tests and drew some conclusions based on the results of those tests.

Conclusions are opinions based upon facts. Conclusions DO NOT necesarily portray "truth" but rather try to give a logical explanation of what has been discovered.

More facts provide more information which may affirm prior conclusions or they may result in entirely new conclusions. It depends on what is learned. The better the information the better the conclusions.

Tom is trying to provide us with the best information possible. In doing so he makes his own conclusions. You can choose to accept them or not but please do not claim that Tom should not make these conclusions.

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
tom wrote what he saw, a processor that is very expensive and at the moment does not perform anywhere near it's price tag. furthermore, he didn't seem to retract his initial opinion. he didn't change his recommendation to "buy it" and he remained consistent throughout his p4 series by pointing out that the p4 has potential. in his first article, he posted many benchmarks and concluded that on paper the p4 is a good processor, however it has yet to perform up to it's potential (which will come with more support for sse2). in his latest article, he showed some of the potential of the p4, but didn't tell us to run out and buy one. he is reporting the information as it's available. he pointed out rather clearly that at the moment it is outperformed by other processors on the market, however, he has reached no clear conclusions about what the future holds. as the situation changes and sse2 is widely implemented, i'm sure he will benchmark further and report his findings. it's up to the consumer to decide whether the p4 is worth purchasing...

G

I feel that itis not so much of a mistake, he only said that there is no reason to buy a P4 at this time, which i think is still true, just because it has been proved that software can be optimised for the doesn't for a second mean it will be done quickly or at all. with Intels narket share I feel sure that software will be optimised but why not wait until then for the purchase of such a chip.......

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

When the ATHLON was first released, TOM was one of the First to reccomend it! If Tom is so biased, why did he do the second article, which makes the P4 look soooooooooooo bad then. BECAUSE HE WANTS TO TELL U THE TRUTH! Don't say I['m an INTEL LOVER, i have NEVER owned an Intel system in my life, Tom is not biased. You are the biased one matey

G

Strange the Athlon performs better on Apps than games.... does that sound like a CPU made for 14 yr old gamers???

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....