Tom's OC Competition: LN2 Craziness

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow... 35 pics, most of which have no caption and show a cloud as someone pours liquid nitrogen into ... something .. and the point? the results? the conclusion? ... a disappointing slideshow.... and WHY reload 34 pages of the same thing just to show a different picture... could have been laid out much better... pics in a frame to reduce b/w usage, a (diety forbid) POWERPOINT, or worse yet, FLASH slideshow would have been an improvement...

Orion5289

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I'm an engineer for an industrial gas company and we make liquid nitrogen along with many other atmospheric gases/liquids. Nitrogen is an inert gas so its not flammable but its still dangerous because of cryogenic burns (if it gets on your skin) and it can definitely kill you from asphyxiation. Good thing you guys did this outside, it would be super dangerous to do anything with liquid nitrogen inside.

If you wanted to get super crazy, you should have used liquid helium. Liquid nitrogen is around -320F but helium is -452F (only 4 degrees Kelvin). Its actually the coldest liquid known to man. I have no idea if it would work in place of the nitrogen and its very expensive so its probably not a good idea.

miahallen

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2002
[citation][nom]Orion5289[/nom]I'm an engineer for an industrial gas company and we make liquid nitrogen along with many other atmospheric gases/liquids. Nitrogen is an inert gas so its not flammable but its still dangerous because of cryogenic burns (if it gets on your skin) and it can definitely kill you from asphyxiation. Good thing you guys did this outside, it would be super dangerous to do anything with liquid nitrogen inside.If you wanted to get super crazy, you should have used liquid helium. Liquid nitrogen is around -320F but helium is -452F (only 4 degrees Kelvin). Its actually the coldest liquid known to man. I have no idea if it would work in place of the nitrogen and its very expensive so its probably not a good idea.[/citation]
The Thursday and Friday nights prior to the competition we did prepare by benching with our own LN2 in enclosed spaces (well, the window in the hotel room was open). It would take A LOT of nitrogen vapors to displace enough oxygen to become a real threat, so an open window is sufficient.

Most HW has issues running colder than about -150C, so liquid helium become superflous. LN2 is pretty cold...when we got our GPU down to -186C and it didn't "cold bug" we were amazed.

G

Has anyone ever tried shoving a PC into an Icebox to see just how much better something you could actually DO would perform?

G

Can you maybe make a video next time. It's very tedious clicking through hundreds of images.

G

Looks like you need a real test engineer, well if yo want to go that cold without condensation you may want to do what we do on a day to day basis. we do HALT testing (Highly Accelerated Life Testing) and yes I can cool this down to -200deg c without any issue. without LN2 Exposure to the boards/chips. i will try to test a mobo/cpu/vid card running and OC it.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
I didn't see any pictures of the computer screen to document any over clock. I could have taken these pictures with some dry ice and tin foil? LOL Wheres the beef? CPU-Z , Everest

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Overclocking is neat, but it is an expensive hobby.. If you are trying to get a 600 Dollar computer, with the performance of a 2000 dollar computer, and expect it to last 4-6 years.. there is a problem..

but anyways, this is pretty cool..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS