Tom's SBM: The $1,500 Mainstream PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,
This is my first comment although I have reading this website for the past 8 years. Anyway to th point - Usuallt I agree 90% with you on components you choose, especially in the high-end and budget configuration. But this time a lot of tings strikes me: First it is the CPU - I am pleased You have addressed the issue to a great degree in the article later, but still I think it will be appropriate to try to further increase the voltage because this is a watercooled 65nm CPU; Second the chipset I think it`s ot the best choise, X38 is a former high-end chipset so when You`re overclocking you should get the faster binned X48, but because this is mid-range configuration I think it`s best to taka advantage of the super popular P45; Third the motherboard I am not sure if a motherboard with a not so stron PWM is the best tool for overclocking such a power-hungry chip, You should try to overclock on a different motherboard to see why are yuo`re not receiving a more descent overclock;Forth and last the price difference to a 1066MHz kit is pretty small so I think it`s preferable because tis will give You flexibility to try higher FSB with lower multiplier, wchich should give another notch of performance. I am saying all this because I want to help You make this website even better.
Best Regards. Bobby

G

I think it would be interesting to see power consumption and noise benchmarks for the PCs you build in this article series.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I can see why you wanted to use a water cooling kit so that you got the best possible overclock from the CPU but water cooling is hardly ‘mainstream’ which is what I thought this system builder marathon was all about. The same goes for the choice of motherboard, the X38 is an enthusiast’s motherboard, something like the Biostar T Power i45 would have been more appropriate and according to CustomPC UK is just as good at overclocking as any other motherboard.

Good choice in video cards, I’m glad you didn’t choose 4850’s with the stock coolers because those bad boys run really hot.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]I can see why you wanted to use a water cooling kit so that you got the best possible overclock from the CPU but water cooling is hardly ‘mainstream’ which is what I thought this system builder marathon was all about. [/citation]

I agree with this dude really. Anything watercooled is enthusiast, not mainstream. I don't know if americans just treat themselves to better hardware, but here in europe anyone with watercooling is considered an enthusiast. Nobody with a reasonable budget is going to 'waste' money on water cooling. Imo a tuniq, tr120 or a scythe something cooler would've been a more appropriate midrange guess. Also I'd expect anyone building a pc today to pick a p45 over an x38 (though I like the red slots on this one)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]fallen2004[/nom]P45 wouldnt have workd cos it would bottleneck the crossfire as it only runs at 8x and 4850's need 16x[/citation]
Btw I'm running a 4870 on an x16 pcie v1 - that equals an x8 pcie v2 connection. And I can hardly claim that my system's limited by the bandwidth.

grumps01

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
How about some info on this "mainstream" system sound wise. How Loud or quite is this system use this Swiftech H20-220 Kit with larger pumps etc. Also what's the temperatures like (heat dissipation) like in general with this combination please?

I know most ppl are probably more interested with the benchmarks, but I'm sure this might interest some people on what's it like to live with, thanks!

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I'd Tend to agree ......Just Because the budget is mainstream Doesn't mean that any parts purchased within that Budget it.

I think Dirt Mountain's build is more likely what I would build,Given the 1500 Budget.

I also agree on testing for noise.A while Back I bought a Antec P180 and trust me ...It was anything but QUIET....Like the Company Stated.

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
A p45 would have bottlenecked the 4850s almost none at all (~1%), and saved on the build. And, if the liquid cooling was skipped in favor of a cheap xigmatek, there may have been enough money in the build left to use 4870s (or an x2)instead of 4850s.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
The p180 is supposed to be good at cooling, not particularily built for silence isn't it? I've never owned one, but that's how I understood it.
Those looking for silence would buy a lian li chassis I think (though they're ugly imo)

xsamitt

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I'll Take ugly silent over noise any day.
Actually the p180 has been listed on web sites Becasue it was supposed to be silent.Go Figure.No more P180's for me.Bring on the ugly.lol.

radguy

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
darn I was wrong
but I do think your results would have been better with x48/q9550 with good air cooling cost is easly obtained by cutting to a cheaper case and a good 50 dollar fan. However I understand that no way that system would have the wow factor this one has and good paying tribute to a great cpu.

I should also note that if your going water cooling chances are noise level is important and it would be nice to get power consumption as well like erl said.

Low end system...much harder to guess I go with a very low end p45/E5200/9600gt. Don't think I got this right either but very much looking forward to seeing what you guys did.

DiscoDuck

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I have the p180 and its as quiet as you make it xsamitt. If you set the tri-cool fans on low, get a quiet cpu cooler, video card, and psu, its definitely in the silent ballpark. Do you hears fans in your head? Are you unplugging at least once a day? I like my p180 lots.

G

Watercooling, dual video cards, and setting up RAID are not mainstream; nor is a $1500 budget. I believe that most people would spend less than that for the ENTIRE package (including monitor, multifunction printer, OS, and software).

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
My suggestion for the low cost:
asus dvdrw drive (20), antec sonata 500 black (130), spinpoint 500gb (60), biostar 790gx (64), asus 9600gt silent (83), pny 2x2gb (60), 5400+ black ed (77) ; totalling 949 on newegg.
That'd be a pc capable of gaming on a 22" lcd, look good and be reasonably 'future proof' as amd isn't about to throw its current chipset out the window. More importantly it'd be reasonably quiet without any money spent on aftermarked coolers.
Personally I'd spend more (~570) and get an 4850 & x3 , but if 500 is the limit, then so be it.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]dirtmountain[/nom]You can get a E7200 and a HD4850 in a $500 build off newegg (not counting rebates) , i hope they don't settle for a garbage $500 system build, with a cheesy CPU and weak GPU.[/citation]
I've just played around on there, and I can't see how you can get that done without picking a q-tec quality power supply. The cheapest p45 is going for $63 and the cheapest 4850 is @160 - that's almost half the budget gone, and you still need harddrive, dvd, memory, chassis and power supply costing an average $70 if you disregard the dvd.
When I tried the intel way, even with an e2200 I'd end up over the 500 budget. You could pick a p35 or p43 and just get back in the budget, but that'd mean starting off with a cpu you'd have to oc very much to even deliver enough data for the grahpics at standard speeds.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
$1500 is much closer to "mid-range" than some of the marathons I've seen here in the past (a budget of $2000???), but I still feel this is a bit much for a mid-range computer, especially since it's just the tower and none of the extras like a monitor. $11-1200 would feel more comfortable, and the final result of the June build seemed more realistic from a price perspective. $300-400 is a very significant amount of money when you're not building and testing gaming machines for a living.
I also don't think a mid-range build would realistically have dual graphics cards. A single 4850 would probably better reflect a real-world system of the class. For perspective, I'd consider a low-end build to have either good integrated graphics or a sub-$60 discrete card. I think it would be good to have such a system as the "bottom rung" build, at least for a baseline of comparison.
I realize this is an "enthusiast's" site with a focus on rigs that can run circles around Crysis, but sometimes (especially during these marathons) I feel like there's a very real disconnect between what you guys consider "middle of the road" and what the consumer does.

E7200 - $118
4850 - $160
Biostar G31 - $50
Rosewill case - $20
Antec PSU - $30
DVD - $21
Cooler Xigma SD964 - $26
HD - $42
RAM - $30

$497 and yes a cheap mobo, small HD, cheap RAM etc, but in terms of bang for the buck it would perform. If using rebates and/or combo deals you could upgrade quite a bit and stay within budget, this build uses no combos or rebates.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]dirtmountain[/nom]A E8500, single socket P45, HD4870x2,Sunbeam core contact cooler and a Coolermaster 690 would have made their budget and blown the socks off that build.[/citation]
Totally agree but I might swap Coolermaster 690 with Antec Three Hundred + EA650 PSU to save $150. That saved $150 could be spend on Q9550 if desired.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]xsamitt[/nom]I'd Tend to agree ......Just Because the budget is mainstream Doesn't mean that any parts purchased within that Budget it.I think Dirt Mountain's build is more likely what I would build,Given the 1500 Budget.I also agree on testing for noise.A while Back I bought a Antec P180 and trust me ...It was anything but QUIET....Like the Company Stated.[/citation]
I have a P150/Solo and I think you've forget to put the fans on low. P180 is quieter than P150 and mine is silent at 1m.

Status
Not open for further replies.