Tom's Teardown: Two More Apple A1265 iPhone Charger Lookalikes

Status
Not open for further replies.

nibb0r

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
Great teardowns, Dan! Very interesting to see these tested to failure. Your old articles are helping me judge how to replace my recently-dead UPS, too. Any plans on testing USB-PD power supplies?

Daniel Sauvageau

Honorable
Aug 12, 2014

Maybe. From a hobbyist point of view, the USB-PD spec is a PITA to deal with: you need a bidirectional data exchange to get out of the default 5V/whatever-A mode. While there are chips designed to handle most of it, they require some degree of firmware programming and out of what few chips I have found that can handle the 20V spec, they're out of stock, only sold in reels of 2500 chips at $6 a pop. PassMark sent me an offer for one of its USB testers on Twitter but I haven't received a response to my response over there. Since I have such a hard time finding my own replies to people on Twitter, my response likely got lost in the noise. (I'm not a pro-Twitter, maybe there is a way to keep tabs of conversations on there, I'm just not seeing it and such a feature not being obvious on a communications platform seems like a huge fail to me.)

QuickCharge is far more tinker-friendly, only need to toggle D+/D- to different voltages to switch between modes. That's what I'm planning to add to my test coverage next. Also, someone called Roger crossed the Anker and Aukey QC adapters off my Amazon wishlist and I'd like to test those beyond the basic 5V mode when I get to them. Thanks Roger!

It's great that Tom's is doing actual technical articles, but these need a new format. The slide show sucks, it's like PowerPoint for the internet.

I don't even go through these. I click on the link see it's a slide show and leave. I get Johnny Guru might not look as "modern" but it's a heck of a lot more usable, and readable, and I don't have to go through 51 slides.

Status
Not open for further replies.