Tom'sHardware "Ad Blocker Detected" landing page.

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
I've got Tom's Hardware whitelisted but there must be a new external script because now I get sent to the "Ad Blocker Detected" landing page. The problem with this is there is no way to unblock whatever script is causing this issue because NoScript, uBlockOrigin, and PrivacyBadger (I got rid of AdBlocker Plus due to their extortion-based business model) all show zero scripts being blocked on this page so even "disabling them entirely for this page" (not exactly the best security practice) does nothing. Neither is there a "Contact Us" available on this page to get any kind of support for this issue.

This needs to be changed to what most other sites (that I'm aware of) are doing and put a banner instead. Yes, the banner script can be blocked, but the alternative is that Tom's Hardware has essentially bricked itself to anyone implementing basic security precautions.

Suggestions (other than disabling all security) are welcome.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
which browser? Is that on front page or forums?

I just looked on Front page using Edge with Ublock Origin loaded and didn't get any pop up. That is without being logged in as it wouldn't prove anything if I were.

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
which browser? Is that on front page or forums?

I just looked on Front page using Edge with Ublock Origin loaded and didn't get any pop up. That is without being logged in as it wouldn't prove anything if I were.

The forums work fine, and it's not a pop-up, it's a redirect. It's only the main site that causes the problem: From www.tomshardware.com to any of the article links in the most recent e-mail, all I get is the "Ad Blocker Detected" landing page. I'm using Firefox.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you tried UBlock origin? I know there is a bug on front page in relation to CPU usage on Firefox, it uses way too much but I didn't get a redirect on front page using it while not logged in. I just looked.

After a certain number of trophies you no longer see adverts. But I am not sure if that applies to front page.

Admin are the ones who can fix this problem, I don't have anything to do with running site. They do look in here though.

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Have you tried UBlock origin? I know there is a bug on front page in relation to CPU usage on Firefox, it uses way too much but I didn't get a redirect on front page using it while not logged in. I just looked.

After a certain number of trophies you no longer see adverts. But I am not sure if that applies to front page.

Admin are the ones who can fix this problem, I don't have anything to do with running site. They do look in here though.

Yes, I'm using NoScript, uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, and Decentralize on this browser.

I suspect it's a specific script that NoScript is blocking, but since it's a redirect rather than a popup I'm not given the opportunity to determine which one (and check the "Security and Privacy Info" to decide if I'm comfortable unblocking it or not). Even the New York Times has hosted maldirect before so, as much as I enjoy reading Tom's Hardware articles, I'm not keen on turning my security off to figure out exactly which script is causing the problem if indeed that is where the problem lies.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah, I saw your other post about UBlock.

I used to get the warnings on Tom's guide (https://www.tomsguide.com/ ) front page more than here but I don't seem to get them anymore.
I don't get them on chrome either but its got UBlock and Bit Defender Anti tracker running, so it could be the 2nd blocking things. It doesn't exist on Edge and yet no warnings if I look at articles.

I doubt bitdefender would be blocking it at a firewall lvl, always possible.

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, I saw your other post about UBlock.

I used to get the warnings on Tom's guide (https://www.tomsguide.com/ ) front page more than here but I don't seem to get them anymore.
I don't get them on chrome either but its got UBlock and Bit Defender Anti tracker running, so it could be the 2nd blocking things. It doesn't exist on Edge and yet no warnings if I look at articles.

I doubt bitdefender would be blocking it at a firewall lvl, always possible.

Oh dear. I just tried https://www.tomsguide.com/ (never thought of that until you mentioned it) and I'm treated to the same "Ad Blocker Detected" redirect as tomshardware.com. Joy. Well, if they roll out the same script here in the forums I'll be completely screwed, though I presume that won't happen.

May 31, 2020
Please watch the language
theres no way i will turn off my ad blocker on any forum. if they don't like, they can removed off

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Ublock Origin on chrome on several PC. Never have issues with "adblocker detected" errors on the forum, main site, or Tomsguide.

Though, i do not get ads on Toms Hardware any more, i think due to being a member for awhile.

You could try disabling each blocker individually to find the one causing the issue. It is likely not Ublock as i use ublock and never get an issue. Disable adblocking for tomshardware and toms guide on whichever adblocker is causing the issue. I think as long as ublock is left on these sites you won't have issues with ads.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solving a number of questions on the forums blocks ads here, but I am not sure if that applies to front page as for a long time after we swapped software, the two pages weren't linked. Front pages appear to be on different servers to the forums. Before the change of forum software, the front and forums were linked and showed your details if you were logged in.
Blocking Javascript (especially if you are on Firefox right now) could make the warning go away.. although it has downsides in that so will all the pictures.

Last edited:

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Another Tom's Hardware subscription e-mail in my inbox, another reminder I'm unable to visit the site. From the fraction of a second I'm able to see it I can tell it's almost certainly NoScript blocking something hosted on another site. Since there's no time to see what the actual script is I'd have to disable NoScript entirely, not just for Tom's Hardware which I've already whitelisted, which is not something I'm willing do to.

If TH website developers are looking into this, either use a popup warning instead of a redirect so we (I'm presuming I'm not the only person with this issue) can decide if we want to whitelist the offending script or host scripts yourself to assuage our concerns over potential malvertising et al.

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
The only viable "solution" seems to be simply removing Tom's Hardware from whitelists. NoScript now blocks tomshardware.com and I'm finally able to read the articles again.

So, to the geniuses that implemented the ad block detected redirect script: Congratulations on making the only way to view your site to either indiscriminately allow all scripts or block 100% of your advertising and preventing people from purchasing products through your "buy now" links. I value my browsing safety so I'm choosing the latter option.

I just got this error today in Firefox on the home page. It's being caused by Privacy Badger. Everything works fine again when Privacy Badger is disabled. Chrome works fine with Privacy Badger.

• Firefox 77.0.1 x64 en US
  • Privacy Badger 2020.6.2
  • Windows 10 x64 Pro 10.0.18362 Build 18362

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
Just started for me yesterday ...

Two major problems ...

1. Blocking traffic due to ad blocker -- that's just cheap and low. Brings back memories of "Just buy it!"
  2. Turned the blockers off, and ... it still blocks me. WTF?
I had to use Edge to login and post this ... I'm about through with this site ...

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
I just got this error today in Firefox on the home page. It's being caused by Privacy Badger. Everything works fine again when Privacy Badger is disabled. Chrome works fine with Privacy Badger.

• Firefox 77.0.1 x64 en US
  • Privacy Badger 2020.6.2
  • Windows 10 x64 Pro 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Not for me ... turning everything off and it still won't work in firefox for me ...

Jul 28, 2020
Realize this is an old thread, but just hit the issue myself and hadn't seen the specific site listed to temporarily allow (at least that is what I did, can trust if you prefer). Through quick mouse work, what I found is that you need to at least temporarily allow "futurecdn.net" in order to avoid the redirect.

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Thank's for the tip, Jim_M. I'll try whitelisting "futurecdn.net" if it ever looks like there's something on a page that I want to see but can't. In the meanwhile, not allowing any scripts from "tomshardware.com" works for the most part. There may be some pictures or charts I can't view, but for the most part the articles are entirely readable while maintaining browser security.

I wonder how many people find themselves blocked and simply don't bother returning. Considering this is a tech site that's had months to resolve this issue they should be particularly embarrassed about this. Also, any revenue they're losing due to the need for this workaround is entirely their own fault.

Jul 28, 2020
Likely they received complaints from the ad listings. A big site like this and technical viewers probably see a high enough percentage of content blockers. The business model probably drove them to counter through detecting the loading of content, then blocking. There are enough alternatives that I will probably go elsewhere in the future. Had been a staple site for CPU and GPU hierarchy charts and product reviews, but if I can find on other sites, will use them instead. I understand the revenue needs, but the lack of trust and privacy concerns of real time bidding for ads placement, scripting sites, etc. give great concern to security conscious users.

KADC

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
The irony there is I had Tom's Hardware whitelisted and I had to blacklist them in order to view the site. I dare say that's the opposite of what they hoped would happen. Obviously there would have been some third-party scripts that remained blocked (possibly the one you just pointed out) but the redirect prevented me from having the option of whitelisting that which, again, is not going to give them the result they want.

Others have commented that they get the redirect even with all their script-blockers disabled.

It seems to me the best solution remains being for TH to replace the redirect script with either friendly pop-up request like "good" sites do or an aggressive full screen pop-up if the the former doesn't work. Either way, it would enable the option of whitelisting the offending script if we so choose.