Tomshardware Linking to Fake Malicious Adobe Flash

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Tomshardware is the only site doing this right now. I keep getting a Javascript confirmation message saying my Adobe Flash is outdated (obviously fake) and needs updated, if you click okay it downloads a fake Adobe flash from a suspicious website. Why is Toms doing this?

No, I did not run the exe, but don't do it people it is fake.

6zwvmc.jpg

Here is where it'll redirect (unsuccessfully)
v4whs2.png

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there guys,

Thanks for the reports. We're looking into this. Naturally, do not download or install anything that is not from the direct source itself. Hopefully we'll have this resolved in short order. Any additional information you can provide on where you are seeing this, specifically what URLs you are finding this on (forums? editorial side?) would be beneficial.

Thanks!

-JP

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there guys,

We're on it. We could really use your assistance on this one - it's one of the tougher ones to isolate.

Could you help us dig through to find the needle in the haystack here with answers to the following questions, if you encounter it again? Is anyone here still encountering this issue? If so, please let us know, as well as the following - it would help us locate the offending partner/network and take action.

• What is your geo-location? (Country/State)
• What type of computer are you using? (PC/Mac)
• What OS are you using?
• What Browser and Version?
• What URL exactly did you encounter the issue on?

And lastly, if you could nab a screen-grab, particularly with any ads that might be on the page, that would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

-JP

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Thank you, everyone. Good news - we believe we have narrowed down the cause of the issue and resolved the problem.

It turns out this breach impacted thousands of sites across the internet for a total of 83 minutes over the weekend. Based on research, we believe it had to do with an issue relating to analytics software shared by a massive number of networks (ours unfortunately included). We're going to double-confirm the "why's and wherefore's" of the matter before we respond definitively, but we're taking steps to ensure that this type of thing doesn't occur again.

We greatly appreciate your assistance in helping us discover the nature of this holiday-timed attack, and are grateful for your vigilance in relaying information to us to help identify and resolve the issue. Thanks for your patience, and for bearing with us during this.

Warm Regards,
Joe Pishgar
Senior Community Manager, Purch

Rexer

Distinguished
I downloaded ransomware once. It had a name I can't remember. Something like, 'WARNING! Windows detects Malware. Click here to remove at once!' So I did and my computer immediately shut me out with a threatening countdown it was trying to download. I was so mad, I yanked the plug on my computer and walked away. When I turned it back on, it was in a folder on my desktop. ? So I trashed it and deleted it. I had no problems for a few days till I ran a registry fixer in Ccleaner. Apparently the ransomware program got damaged when I pulled the plug and the registry fixer wanted to clear it out. That was 2007 on an XP machine. Call it what you will, I'm sure I had God, Lady Luck and Karma on my side. Lol.

TRENDING THREADS