Tongfang Laptops.

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
Hello.
Have configured a very high-end laptop with an rtx 2070 super, 17.3"1440p display, however, wondering if tongfang laptops are future proof? In terms of build quality and longevity.
I will spend 2600$ for this laptop and not planning to upgrade it for at least 4 years. (can handle lowering the graphics). (playing games 10-12 hours per week, not gonna force the system much)

I want this laptop because it has a mechanical keyboard and for someone who loves typing, only mechanical keyboards and thinkpads satisfy me, and it has a 1440p screen on 17.3 IPS display, believing that it's futureproofed for my use since I don't play any e-sport games and happy with 60 fps, xx70 and 80 series are overkill with 1080p for my preferences, am I not right?

I don't find youtube reviews about those trustworthy.

Thanks!

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020

Really? Are we supposed to throw away our laptops after 1 year of usage?
Been using GTX1070 for 3 years and it is still running me on high/ultra on most titles. Clearly, it was a future-proof choice at its time.
Been using x1 carbon Thinkpad for work for 5 years, and it's still running like brand new, clearly, it was future proof purchase.

I am asking if tongfangs are future proof in terms of build quality and motherboard reliability and repairability, not in terms of specs. I had never have one of those(of any variant) so really don't know anything.

Do you really need the portability of a laptop?
You can buy a much better gamer for less in a desktop.

If you want a gaming laptop, be very careful about the design of the cooler.
Laptops need small, light components and that is very bad for coolers.
I read many tales of woe when gaming laptops with high end graphics have heat issues and throttle.

Your best bet is a unit with latest gen processors and a more modest graphics chip.

For a mechanical keyboard, you could buy a discrete keyboard, but that is not so good for portability.

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
Do you really need the portability of a laptop?
You can buy a much better gamer for less in a desktop.

If you want a gaming laptop, be very careful about the design of the cooler.
Laptops need small, light components and that is very bad for coolers.
I read many tales of woe when gaming laptops with high end graphics have heat issues and throttle.

Your best bet is a unit with latest gen processors and a more modest graphics chip.

For a mechanical keyboard, you could buy a discrete keyboard, but that is not so good for portability.

Unfortunately, I need portability since my work requires moving often and changing my city twice per year, so a desktop pc and external keyboard are not an option nor the gaming consoles and already have a thin and light business laptop 14" for extreme portability and 10 hours of battery life. Thanks for the advice though!
Yes, I am aware of heat issues, that is why I seek to find a solidly built laptop with a medium price range.

I have used MSI in the past but their high-end thin and light laptop is overpriced and overkill for me. I don't need extreme performance and a 244ms screen with killer internet chips, giant speakers, etc just makes the product %40 more expensive, I don't even think will ever use more than 60-70HZ anyway.

So looking for a more minimalistic route and less gaming looking laptops since I can pull it off in front of a meeting and start using.

Last edited:

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
If you like the ThinkPad keyboards, look at the x1 extreme.
It is only 15" but it comes with GTX1650ti graphics which is not too hot and fairly decent.
Hi, I already have x1 carbon which has been serving me for 5 years and still works like brand new. :) But thanks! I also have a gaming laptop but It got really old and outdated. Occasionally, aside from gaming, I might lend my pc to an engineer who will need a good GPU and CPU that can render a whole night or two, so looking for a high-performance pc...

See, I love laptops and been using many in my life. But I had never used those Chinese clone laptops and never even considered buying one, however upon making research and finding out that literally, nobody is speaking badly about them, made me think, might also reviewers got paid quite generous to speak good about them.

Last edited:
From all laptops i owned Lenovo is for sure best when it comes to longevity, from liquid damage protection to overheating. I seen people spill whole drinks to the keyboard and after i open it theres no spills on the motherboard, crazy stuff, dont know about newest models though

Elros

Reputable
BANNED
Dec 16, 2020
From all laptops i owned Lenovo is for sure best when it comes to longevity, from liquid damage protection to overheating. I seen people spill whole drinks to the keyboard and after i open it theres no spills on the motherboard, crazy stuff, dont know about newest models though

Consumer laptops such as Ideapad, or ThinkPad? I have used Ideapad, Thinkpad, and yoga over the years, ThinkPad's were absolutely the beast. I have a t60 that is still running after 14 years!