flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Hi,
I often discuss processors with my friends, and they always say that an XP 1800 for instance is too fast. What is that supposed to mean?! In 3D Studio Max rendering there never is too fast!

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
If software bases it's framerates on clock cycles, then the results can be disasterous with newer chips. I think of the scrollrate of my mouse in warcraft 2 when playing on a 1.5Ghz. Likewise, if u play hearts or something on a semi-fast compy, the "slow" animation is the same speed as the fast (lightning). Win2k is smarter than 98 and adjusts the speed better. I dunno about XP, and if u mention ME, you get shot. :)

Althons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hey!
have u tried a game like dug-dig on your XP?
bet that would go really really quick :)

if they say its too fast what they are really saying is "its going just at the right speed, but we are jelous that ours are NOT"
hehehe

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
1800 Mhz huh? hmmms

im currently running at 1350 from 1200, 1.86v out of a possible max of 1.94v.
1400 is mostly stable, and 1425 is moderatly stable. i wonder if i could get to 1500Mhz when i put my swiftech MCX462 in, replacing the fop32-1??? (main issue atm is heat)

Is that a Northwoody in your pocket or are you just eXPited to see me?

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Nothing is ever too fast, especially in processors! That's almost like saying your computer will be the fastest for months to come. Every few months something that much better comes out, and everyone wants it but doesn't want the other person to have it..so they tell you lies like its too fast. If you want it, get it..i have one myself and like it a lot..but can't wait until the hammer/thoroughbred

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As Michael Abrash said in his epic <font color=red>Zen of Code Optimisation</font color=red> (glad I got it just before it got out of print, back in Oct'93), with the newer faster hardware <font color=green>you should expect nothing but instantaneous response!</font color=green>

With the processors today even while running at multi-GHz speeds are not capable of returning instantaneous response, how can one say its too fast!

"Too fast" is of course a relative term! A Celron 600 on a i810 is simply too fast for even the fastest typist. What could be faster?

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Reminds me of <font color=blue>Jonathon Livingston Seagull</font color=blue>, he finally attained the ultimate speed!

Faster!Faster!!Faster!!! Still not there, yet!

girish

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Even in typing there isn't a too fast. The comp I'm on right now (200 something Mhz P2 at school) takes a lot of time before displaying teh text.

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yes, a biography of a seagull who rebelled in his flock, went for his passion, to fly as fast as possible and was driven out of the flock but finally attainned the ultimate - flight at the speed of thought! It was written by Richard Bach, back in 1973 and continues to inspire them who read it, understand it.

Here its is in <A HREF="http://www.kulichki.com/moshkow/RBACH/seagullengl.txt" target="_new">full text</A>, have a read.

girish

FatBurger

Illustrious
A bit long for me to read at work, but I'll give it a look sometime.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
I've read it. It's kind of weird. I think I had to read it for english class.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I can't play my old Tetris game on my 933, it's too fast! In fact, it was easy to play on my old 386, very challenging on my 486/33 laptop (deceased), and impossible on anything Pentium or newer. On my 933 the game ends in less than 1/10th of a second!

Back to you Tom...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
did you try digdug on a Pentim, or even teh 486?

these games used timing loops for delays, which are obviously too fast these days.

i am glad my favorite pcman doesnt runaway!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
there are different versions or workalikes of pacman named as packman, puckman, pcman, pakman, gobman etc. but i like the pcman best. it has no exit option, you had to reboot the machine to get out of it! now i can just terminate the DOS box ;-)

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i can send you my version of pcman, its just about 70k and swift and neat! its the first computer game i ever played, thats some 10 years ago.