Question Too high CPU (8700K) temperature

Jul 29, 2019
Hello!

I have a problem with my i7 8700K. Well it is not a problem yet, but I recently assembled my new PC and noticed that my CPU gets really hot - 95-100C under load (AIDA, SpeedFan, Speccy). Idle mode keeps it up to 50C usually.

Just in case I have already changed thermal paste and checked CPU cooler's (Deepcool GAMMAXX 300R) mounts.

Although there were no freezes or any emergency shutdowns yet but I'm afraid something is not right. Either with my cooling system or with CPU sensors.

As I see at various forums, typical temps for this CPU are noticeably lower.

Can anyone hint me what I should do with that situation please?

Down below some screenshots.
(1) Heavy load
CPU-heavy-usage.png

(2) Mid load. Opera and few background apps.
Low-load-mode.png

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
Hello!

I have a problem with my i7 8700K. Well it is not a problem yet, but I recently assembled my new PC and noticed that my CPU gets really hot - 95-100C under load (AIDA, SpeedFan, Speccy). Idle mode keeps it up to 50C usually.

Just in case I have already changed thermal paste and checked CPU cooler's (Deepcool GAMMAXX 300R) mounts.

Although there were no freezes or any emergency shutdowns yet but I'm afraid something is not right. Either with my cooling system or with CPU sensors.

As I see at various forums, typical temps for this CPU are noticeably lower.

Can anyone hint me what I should do with that situation please?

Down below some screenshots.
(1) Heavy load
CPU-heavy-usage.png

(2) Mid load. Opera and few background apps.
Low-load-mode.png

That is really hot for an 8700k. I know they don't run extremely cool but that is very, very high. I have no idea why. Is there anything in the Bios that is out of the norm? Is it overclocked? Maybe your cooler isn't sufficient enough

Jul 29, 2019
That is really hot for an 8700k. I know they don't run extremely cool but that is very, very high. I have no idea why. Is there anything in the Bios that is out of the norm? Is it overclocked?
No I'm not into overclocking. I don't think I changed anything in the BIOS, but just in case I'll reboot now and will restore defaults!

BTW just read in another topic that possible my cooling system is not suited for my CPU/motherboard.
But it appears like a nonsense to me as sockets are standard things and manufacturers make all things compatible...

Jul 29, 2019
That is really hot for an 8700k. I know they don't run extremely cool but that is very, very high. I have no idea why. Is there anything in the Bios that is out of the norm? Is it overclocked? Maybe your cooler isn't sufficient enough
No nothing wrong as I can judge but restored defaults in BIOS (and updated it preliminary).

Could it be voltages? Faulty PSU?
Or should I try to install better CPU cooling system?

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
No nothing wrong as I can judge but restored defaults in BIOS (and updated it preliminary).

Could it be voltages? Faulty PSU?
Or should I try to install better CPU cooling system?

It could be the cooler (highly doubt a PSU would lead to high CPU Temps). Look around for other reviews on that cooler with that CPU and see what comes up. If it isn't the cooler then it could very well be something else

But it appears like a nonsense to me as sockets are standard things and manufacturers make all things compatible...

Sorry for this but...LOL!

So by that 'compatible' logic, a cooler that Intel ships with one of it's 35 watt socket 1151 low power CPUs should be sufficient for an 8700K and a 9900K...and presumably, the upcoming 9900KS? :)

Testing shows the 8700K can draw (and dissipate) about 135-140 watts or more at peak load, and needs a cooler capable of keeping up with that.

Not all coolers are capable of staying ahead of the generated heat. (If they were, I suspect everyone would be using $25-$35 air coolers, and Noctua would be bankrupt)

As a temporary workaround while you are awaiting a cooler that is competent to arrive, you could easily use Intel's XTU to dial in (as in 'set lower') the max boost clocks of the 8700K from 4.7 GHz single core/4.3 GHz all core down to something more manageable...lower the values by 100-200 MHz and retest for temps...

Reactions: CompuTronix
Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for this but...LOL!

So by that 'compatible' logic, a cooler that Intel ships with one of it's 35 watt socket 1151 low power CPUs should be sufficient for an 8700K and a 9900K...and presumably, the upcoming 9900KS? :)

Testing shows the 8700K can draw (and dissipate) about 135-140 watts or more at peak load, and needs a cooler capable of keeping up with that.

Not all coolers are capable of staying ahead of the generated heat. (If they were, I suspect everyone would be using $25-$35 air coolers, and Noctua would be bankrupt)

As a temporary workaround while you are awaiting a cooler that is competent to arrive, you could easily use Intel's XTU to dial in (as in 'set lower') the max boost clocks of the 8700K from 4.7 GHz single core/4.3 GHz all core down to something more manageable...lower the values by 100-200 MHz and retest for temps...

I did not expect this air cooler to keep 8700K at low temps but I was really sure it wont heat up so much.

Well eventually my problem is solved - you were right that my cheap air cooler did not do well. Today I have installed Deepcool Gammax L240 and CPU's temperature has dropped to ~30C even under load (14C in idle mode, wtf is this the real life?)

So my lesson is if you buy nice CPU don't be a scrooge :)

Although I have minor issue with BIOS logging screen - it says that there is a CPU error.
My motherboard is ROG Strixx 360-G and despite where I plug in the connector (either AIO_PUMP or CPU_FAN) the message appears. Not a big deal though as it doesn't interrupt my boot sequence.

Fate05

Prominent
May 2, 2019
I did not expect this air cooler to keep 8700K at low temps but I was really sure it wont heat up so much.

Well eventually my problem is solved - you were right that my cheap air cooler did not do well. Today I have installed Deepcool Gammax L240 and CPU's temperature has dropped to ~30C even under load (14C in idle mode, wtf is this the real life?)

So my lesson is if you buy nice CPU don't be a scrooge :)

Although I have minor issue with BIOS logging screen - it says that there is a CPU error.
My motherboard is ROG Strixx 360-G and despite where I plug in the connector (either AIO_PUMP or CPU_FAN) the message appears. Not a big deal though as it doesn't interrupt my boot sequence.

I did think it was the cooler. Hey good option and hopefully it runs a lot better now!