Aug 28, 2019
(Sorry for my english) Ok so i have problem with my graphics card rx590 fatboy. Drivers crash, wattman crash and high temperature. While playing games temperature is always 84-85 temperature. No matter wich game. My pc setup is :

CPU: RYZEN 5 1600X 3.6 GHz
GPU: RADEON RX590 8GB
RAM: G.SKILL RIPJAWS V DDR4 8GB
MOTHERBOARD: ASROCK B450 PRO4
CASE: ARMIS AR3
PSU: VERO M2 600W
SSD: CRUCIAL MX 500 250GB
HDD: TOSHIBA 2TB
CPU COOLER: SilentiumPC FERA 3

Standard fans in case only so i don't have water cooling and no extra fans bought. I use msi afterburner to controll fan speed because without it my pc is very loud. So i set 45% fan speed. On idle temperature is 44-45. When i play for example bf1 temperature is 84-85. Sometimes in some games is 86 and pc just have freeze sometimes. Also my pc is under the desk so maybe temperatures are higher because of that. In msi afterburner i set -50 power limit and it helps me to have temperature like 77 not 85. So question is how to make this pc have lower temperatures? Also gpu was new i bought this in december and have same temepratures all the time. It is possible card is broken or it's just bad airflow in case and not enough fans? Thanks in advance for help.

Solution
That's debatable, but would you rather have an overheating GPU?
(more info added to previous post)

Try the case panel test first.

You could try to get an RMA replacement from XFX also.
Jul 21, 2019
As far as I know the Fatboy version of the RX 590 has the worst cooling. (Yeah, even worse than the Armor one.)
It comes with 1580 MHZ on Core Clock, so try dropping it down to something like 1550-1560. Also use %50-60
fan speed to keep a few degrees cooler. This might drop the temps of the card to it's normal state, 78-81c. And yes, the RX 590 has a 225W TDP and even the Nitro+ S.E. model runs 75-76c most of the time, so yeah, RX 590 runs hot itself. Hope this helps.

Aug 28, 2019
I saw some videos on youtube and ppl have normal temepratures 70-75 on fatboy. Don't know about case and cooling in these videos but still. This temperatures are normal. More fans will also help or this is pointless?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

I saw some videos on youtube and ppl have normal temepratures 70-75 on fatboy.
Always take these with a heavy pinch of salt. They have entirely different systems, airflows, and environments.

Remember ambient temperatures are very important here, components are tested in controlled environments. For every degree your ambient temperature is above this, you'll be at least a degree hotter.

If one person runs a system in a 22 degree room and another in a 30 degree room, the difference in peak temperature of the GPU will be at least +8 degrees.

Jul 21, 2019
I saw some videos on youtube and ppl have normal temepratures 70-75 on fatboy. Don't know about case and cooling in these videos but still. This temperatures are normal. More fans will also help or this is pointless?

It's probably an open air test, meaning that the card is not in a case at all, with a case Fatboy model can even reach 90c, because, again, it has bad cooling. If you have 4 fans or more it will not do more than 1-2 degrees. And like I said earlier, the RX 590 itself is a hot card. Not even the one with the best cooling, (Nitro+ S.E.) will get 70-75c. I'd keep the fan speed at %60-65, and maybe do a little bit of undervolting.

Aug 28, 2019
So youtube movies are just pointless i see. In msi afterburner max temp is 85 so don't know how to make this run in max 90 temp. Without afterburner? Ok so another question. In future i wan't change gpu. Rtx 2060 also have high temperatures am i right? So with my setup this will works fine? Or need new case and cooling?

Jul 21, 2019
So youtube movies are just pointless i see. In msi afterburner max temp is 85 so don't know how to make this run in max 90 temp. Without afterburner? Ok so another question. In future i wan't change gpu. Rtx 2060 also have high temperatures am i right? So with my setup this will works fine? Or need new case and cooling?

Calm down dude, I wouldn't take it higher than 85c for RX 590. And RTX 2060 will run cooler because it has a lower power consumption compared to the RX 590. And if you'll go for an upgrade in the future, I wouldn't go for something under RTX 2060S/RX 5700. Again, I'm telling you. Do not hurt your GPU, you should not take your card to higher temps over 85c.

Aug 28, 2019
  1. Re-apply TIM should make a huge improvement in temps. It brought my 1300MHz MSI RX480 GamingX from 85C @ 2400rpm to 73C @ 1200rpm.
  2. Undervolting can save a good deal of power/heat.
I like your case! How many case fans do you have in it? Just the stock, 2x120mm?
U mean thermal paste? In december i build pc. You think i need re-apply now? I used thermal grizzly kryonaut and i think my cpu temp is ok. Big issue is gpu temperature.

TIM = thermal paste, yes, GPUs have TIM also. There's a graphics chip (like a CPU) and the heatsink that sits on it. Just because you built in December doesn't mean the TIM quality or application on the GPU was good from the factory. Even when my card was brand new, it wasn't as good as it is after I re-applied TIM.

You can use your Grizzly Kryonaut on the GPU (clean the old stuff off with rubbing alcohol on a paper towel first). Amount = half a grain of rice. If you're unsure about your application, do a test application. Put on the half grain of rice size on the GPU chip (not the heatsink), screw the heatsink on (full tightness) to apply pressure to squeeze out the TIM, then remove the heatsink to make sure the small shiny "chrome" (diagonal) chip in the center (not the aluminum chip frame) got fully covered. You don't want excessive amounts of TIM squirting over the edges, but the chip needs to be 100% covered. Then clean off that test paste, make any quantity adjustments, and do the final application. 4 screws (gold standoffs in pic below) hold the cooler on. The grey and pink strips you see in the picture below are thermal pads, leave those on, they can be reused.
heatsink1-2.jpg

pcb1-2.jpg

If you click the undervolting link I provided, it will guide you through undervolting via AMDs WattMan utility that is already installed and running inside their driver software. Generally results in 30W-50W power savings compared to stock/auto settings at the same frequency.

Case fan test: Remove the side panel from your case and run a stress test or play a game. Is the heat issue still present? If it goes away or drastically reduces, you need more airflow. I generally recommend 2-120mm intake and 1x120mm exhaust as a baseline fan setup for any halfway decent gaming PC.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2019
TIM = thermal paste, yes, GPUs have TIM also. There's a graphics chip (like a CPU) and the heatsink that sits on it. Just because you built in December doesn't mean the TIM quality or application on the GPU was good from the factory. You can use your Grizzly Kryonaut on the GPU. Amount = half a grain of rice. 4 screws hold the cooler on.
heatsink1-2.jpg

If you click the undervolting link I provided, it will guide you through undervolting via AMDs WattMan utility that is already installed and running inside their driver software. Generally results in 30W-50W power savings compared to stock/auto settings at the same frequency.

Case fan test: Remove the side panel from your case and run a stress test or play a game. Is the heat issue still present? If it goes away or drastically reduces, you need more airflow. I generally recommend 2-120mm intake and 1x120mm exhaust as a baseline fan setup for any halfway decent gaming PC.
I will loose my warranty when i change thermal paste on gpu. I guess.