[SOLVED] Too hot or not - Vertial GPU question - Mostly for FD R6/S2 owners,

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
For starters, I have read a bunch of articles and tests on this subject. So Im fully aware that a GPU mounted right up against the window will get hot and likey throttle under load.

Reason for my question is, that I have also seen a lot of referrals to the Cablemod kit resolving this, as the distance to the side window is larger.

Next week Im building a rig based on the S2 meshify. And I have seen several reviews of this case where its mentioned that the vertical gpu kit they sell, and the design, means that its not clamped right against the window, however its not also as retracted as the Cablemod solution. Kind of somewhere in between.

Anyone with experience than can tell me if its worth spending the extra money on the FD vertical kit?

Overall airflow/cooling also has an impact of course, my build will be with a Coolermaster masterliquid 360mm with 3 fans in the top. 3 x 140 mm Coolermaster static ap fans in the front and 1 x 120 mm Coolermaster static AP fan in the back.

Solution
On an aftermarket configuration that is not a rear blower style, I wouldn't think it would even be a factor. There is VERY little room for airflow out the back of that card anyhow. Only a few small slots. Somewhat negating those from the cooling shouldn't make much difference at all with three other sides for venting. If it was a card model with mostly the entire I/O end of the card used up with cooling vents, might be different.

jacob68

Notable
Jan 30, 2019
Are we talking about a reference model card with a blower style cooler or an aftermarket card with standard cooling?
Aftermarket. Asus Rog Strix 2070 triple fan to be exact.
And had my case+vertical kit resulted in a setup where its clamped against the window I wouldnt even have considered doing it. But as said, in the FD S2 its kind of halfway between being right up against the window and being sufficiently retracted like with the Cablemod solution.

Last edited:
On an aftermarket configuration that is not a rear blower style, I wouldn't think it would even be a factor. There is VERY little room for airflow out the back of that card anyhow. Only a few small slots. Somewhat negating those from the cooling shouldn't make much difference at all with three other sides for venting. If it was a card model with mostly the entire I/O end of the card used up with cooling vents, might be different.

Solution