[SOLVED] Too low GPU usage

Jan 16, 2021
So I have tuf gaming fx505dv-hn279 RTX2060 + Ryzen 5 3550H. In any games gpu usage is around 30-50% (but if I look in some places that dont load gpu too much (sky for instance) it gets 100%). There is definitely no bottleneck - this video (
View: https://youtu.be/eprd6X7YDuI
) confirms this laptop can use gpu on 100%. Can anyone help me please? I am actually tired of it.

Solution
Clocks are pretty same as in the video. Im using FPS monitor to monitor all this information. Ive tried all stuff connected to powerplan, no results. In battlefield 1 gpu usage is around 60% and i get about 40 fps (ultra)

Hmm it's difficult to compare as no Battlefield 1 results in that vid - as Battlefield V is newer it may be better optimised to work with Ryzen, older games (which typically can't use more than a couple of cores) often don't perform as well on Ryzen as you'd expect. Also keep in mind that the Ryzen 5 3550H is actually based on the Zen 1+ core rather than the much faster Zen 2 core found in the 3000 series desktop parts (that is used in Ryzen 4000 mobile) so single core performance could be the issue.

Really...
So I have tuf gaming fx505dv-hn279 RTX2060 + Ryzen 5 3550H. In any games gpu usage is around 30-50% (but if I look in some places that dont load gpu too much (sky for instance) it gets 100%). There is definitely no bottleneck - this video (
View: https://youtu.be/eprd6X7YDuI
) confirms this laptop can use gpu on 100%. Can anyone help me please? I am actually tired of it.

What FPS are you getting and in what games? Also how are you measuring gpu usage (if looking at task manager that doesn't report correct stats for GPU).

Also that video doesn't specify what system they are using, there is a big difference between laptop models, some have much better cooling that other and will allow the cpu to run at higher clocks which will boost fps.

With a laptop you also need to check the power profile you are using (set this to high performance) and make sure you are running plugged in as running on battery will drop clocks on both the cpu and gpu to save power.

Jan 16, 2021
What FPS are you getting and in what games? Also how are you measuring gpu usage (if looking at task manager that doesn't report correct stats for GPU).

Also that video doesn't specify what system they are using, there is a big difference between laptop models, some have much better cooling that other and will allow the cpu to run at higher clocks which will boost fps.

With a laptop you also need to check the power profile you are using (set this to high performance) and make sure you are running plugged in as running on battery will drop clocks on both the cpu and gpu to save power.
Clocks are pretty same as in the video. Im using FPS monitor to monitor all this information. Ive tried all stuff connected to powerplan, no results. In battlefield 1 gpu usage is around 60% and i get about 40 fps (ultra)

Hmm it's difficult to compare as no Battlefield 1 results in that vid - as Battlefield V is newer it may be better optimised to work with Ryzen, older games (which typically can't use more than a couple of cores) often don't perform as well on Ryzen as you'd expect. Also keep in mind that the Ryzen 5 3550H is actually based on the Zen 1+ core rather than the much faster Zen 2 core found in the 3000 series desktop parts (that is used in Ryzen 4000 mobile) so single core performance could be the issue.

Really you need to run a test that will allow you to directly compare your setup as 'apples to apples' as possible - as I mention laptop setups vary a lot between manufacturers so it's difficult to compare. One thing you could run is the free 3D Mark demo (Fire Strike or Time Spy would both be good options, probably not much point running the RTX test with a mobile 2060). That provides a database of results and will let you compare against similar systems.

One thought, what memory setup does your laptop have? Some laptop manufacturers have a bad habit of only putting in a single memory module to save costs, which would hold performance back quite a bit as Ryzen really benefits from memory performance....

Solution
Jan 21, 2021

Same scenario here and same laptop
I boosted cpu with ryzen controller and undervolted gpu with a good overclock but gpu never pass 50/60%