Too many ads, site is too slow, too much java script, too much greed!

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
There are way too many ads, the site is slow as sin. Posting comments on articles constantantly breaks with java script errors. If you have an old machine with an old browser, forget about even viewing an article, it's too slow with errors everywhere at best, crashes the browser at worst. Ads that follow you when you scroll, unacceptable. Full screen ads and ad overlays, unacceptable!
Posting store sales and prices (ads) as news in you news section, unacceptable.

You still have a few decent tech writers on staff. Other than their articles, the content is complete garbage. Why don't you proofread your articles? Spelling and grammar, and simply put, the writing sucks. Sometimes its like you can't even be bothered to proofread the titles of your articles! The news section is particularly bad. People point out the mistakes in the comments, but the staff doesn't read them, or if they do, they still don't fix the mistakes. The "news" is contrived garbage, the titles are often misleading.

10 years ago, toms set the bar for technical websites. Now, its complete garbage, all you care about is money and it shows.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I don't need advice on how to stop ads, and i don't need a lecture on how websites make money. This section is for feedback on the site, and it's what i'm giving. It's around the same lines of criticism that many other posters are making. The responses about adblocking and whatnot are beside the point.

The owners of the site may be interested to know that many readers are beyond annoyed with toms, and are moving to better sites.
The criticism from the dozens of users have only one point, to convey that message. We're not looking for advice.

randomizer

Champion

Use firefox, it will almost definitely work with it. Most other browsers don't. I don't know why they haven't made it work properly with IE7/8 at least, since they are the browsers with the highest market share (IE7 is anyway).

Well I can assure you that the news team would stop doing that in a heartbeat if they were allowed to. ;)

The reviews are often done by the other mirrors, typically French or German, and need to be translated. Translations are rarely perfect, although spelling should be easy to get right most of the time.

Being manned (or womanned if you include Jane) by about 4 people makes the news a pretty tough job to do and they rarely have time to read comments on all of their articles. More "tech" stuff and less facebook would be nice I must admit, but that's just my opinion.

"Tom's" doesn't care about anything. That's just a brand now, not a company. If you want to point fingers at least point them at the right people.

Many people say that but I don't think it's true. Site stats certainly don't indicate this. If anything, they're doing better than Anandtech at attracting more readers.

Please understand, I offered help, and didnt offer any excuses, and yes I realize this is the feedback section, and if you follow it, youll see several posts such as yours, and I also responded with this info, and was greeted with thanks for the help, tho I wouldnt deny you of your right to rant on anything, and since theres been several previous threads similar to this one, its quite obvious to me its a problem for some

G

Whether it was coincidence or not, I was grateful when following my complaint about the Samsung flatscreen ad on the UK Tom's (with the annoying hummingbird) the format changed to a static ad.

I have several times complained to big sites (MSN, Yahoo) about Adobe Flash powered ads overpowering my (ancient) processor so that I can barely escape the page. Result from MSN, Yahoo -- completely ignored.

Yahoo in particular seems to have resigned any responsibility for technical issues and leave it all to the inane Yahoo Answers forum which, doubtless, their staff do not read.

Answer is to use Firefox's Flash blocker.

Many people say that but I don't think it's true. Site stats certainly don't indicate this. If anything, they're doing better than Anandtech at attracting more readers.
Toms is attracting noobs and lesser technical people now. The only reason I'm here is to help the people who actually need help with their first build,etc. I go some where else for my news.