[SOLVED] TOO MANY RGB LED's! Can 2 Thermaltake Sync Controllers fix the problem?

Nov 21, 2018
Hi there, I have a question regarding the Thermaltake TT Premium LED Sync Controller (Link to it here: https://www.thermaltake.com/Cooler/Cooling_Accessory_/Fan_Controller/C_00003143/TT_Sync_Controller_TT_Premium_Edition/design.htm).
I am planning on hooking up 4 Thermaltake Riing Trio Fans, a Thermaltake iRGB 850W power supply, a Thermaltake W5 CPU waterblock (when it comes out) -- OR -- maybe the older generation W4 Plus CPU waterblock if I get impatient, 3 Thermaltake Lumi Plus RGB Strips, and possibly a Thermaltake Pacific V-RTX 2080/2080 Ti Plus Series Founders Edition VGA Waterblock. My goal is to have all of these devices sync together with my motherboard's Asus Aura lighting. The problem is that the total amount of addressable RGB LED's in such a system by-far exceed the maximum number of LED's my motherboard's RGB header can support (that number is about 120 LED's). I have an Asus Maximus XI Formula. I'm worried that either my motherboard RGB header will not be able to power all the LED's or the TT Premium Sync Controller might not be able to supply enough amps for all the devices. I see that the TT Premium Sync Controller can supply up to 5A but is that overall, or per port for all 9 ports? If the TT Premium Sync Controller is unable to power all the RGB devices, is it possible for me to have 2 separate TT Premium Sync Controllers each hooked up to one of the 2 RGB header on my motherboard?Would this work? Or would it cause problems with the devices syncing with Asus Aura or will it be confused that there are two of the TT Premium Sync Controllers connected to the same motherboard at the same time? Thanks!

-Abudee

Solution
1 of those controllers can handle 9 LED devices. I'd ask you to buy one and then try it out. Once you've got the hang of it, you can get a second controller. You might also want to look at the NZXT Hue+ controller but that would demand it's own ecosystem of parts.

Lutfij

Titan
1 of those controllers can handle 9 LED devices. I'd ask you to buy one and then try it out. Once you've got the hang of it, you can get a second controller. You might also want to look at the NZXT Hue+ controller but that would demand it's own ecosystem of parts.

Solution

Reppin513

Commendable
Jun 25, 2017
Actually, the TT Riing TRIO fans only use the digital light controller that comes in the 3 pack. It is a 5 port. The TRIOs can not be used in the 9 port controller that all the other fans use. I have not found the 5 port sold separately from 3 packs of fans, and have had a lot of trouble finding more information on it. It does state they are addressable via dip switch and up to 16 controllers can be used in a system. The 5 port takes MOLEX power. The 9 port takes SATA power. It is not clear to me how multiple controllers connect to the mother board. I would hope via daisy chain, but I am not able to confirm the type of header(s) at this time.

Perhaps this was not the case when you first posted this question, but as of September 2019, that is the info for the TT Riing TRIO fan controller specifically.

Additionally, the controllers work with the TT software to control the TRIO fans. I believe you can bypass a controller altogether and use the ARGB/Jrainbow header(s) on your motherboard to control them with your MB or similar lighting software. Make sure you confirm this on your own as I have not spent time looking into control without the provided 5 port controller. The TT controller/TT software combo will give you greater control over your TRIO ARGB fans. I also think the conflicts different lighting softwares caused each other in 2017/2018 have been resolved at this point, though more research on your part is needed to be certain.

Good luck to whoever finds this thread.

Disclaimer - This is information I have found from researching my own upcoming build and is not based on hands on, installed TT Riing TRIO fans/controllers. I suggest you reach out to TT support for answers to specific questions. The manufacturer would know best.