Too many windows type folders? With windows XP Pro

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have the following folders all pertaining to Windows XP and believe there
are way too many, but do not know how and what to delete:

+Administrator
All Users (zero in it)
+All users.Windows
+Karl
+Karl.Home xxxx

When I go to Explore I see all of the above. I cannot delete the All users,
even though it is empty. At least not under Explore.

Any comments appreciated.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Just goto START>CONTROL PANEL>USER ACCOUNTS (this is assuming the profile
you logged into was an administrator profile) click on the account you want
to scorch and "DELETE THE ACCOUNT" ..you cannot delet "All Users" in
Explorer, it's a default profile setting ... don't even worry about it.

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have the following folders all pertaining to Windows XP and believe there
>are way too many, but do not know how and what to delete:
>
> +Administrator
> All Users (zero in it)
> +All users.Windows
> +Karl
> +Karl.Home xxxx
>

> When I go to Explore I see all of the above. I cannot delete the All
> users, even though it is empty. At least not under Explore.
>
> Any comments appreciated.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have the following folders all pertaining to Windows XP and believe
there
> are way too many, but do not know how and what to delete:
>
> +Administrator
> All Users (zero in it)
> +All users.Windows
> +Karl
> +Karl.Home xxxx
>

> When I go to Explore I see all of the above. I cannot delete the All
users,
> even though it is empty. At least not under Explore.
>
> Any comments appreciated.

I assume you're talking about "Profile" folders, i.e. those kept
in "c:\Documents and Settings". If so then you should start by
working out which ones are currently in use:
1. Click Start / Run and type cmd {OK}
2. Type these commands and make a note of the "Profile" response:
set all
set user
3. Ask yourself if you ever log on under a different name, or if your
machine is sometimes connected to a Windows domain (e.g. in a
networked office environment). If the answer is no then run these
commands:
cd /d "c:\Documents and Settings"
rd /s /q "All Users" (select the one that is not in use)
rd /s /q "Karl.Home xxx" (ditto)

If you cannot delete them, what message do you get? If it is
"Permission denied" then you must seize ownership of these
folders via "My Computer". Google gives you lots of links
on how to do it. Just look for "Windows XP" "Seize ownership".

By the way, please go easy with your crossposts. I feel that
you have far too many of them for such a simple question -
same as you have too many profile folders!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I do appreciate your response but let me first say that to me it was and is
not a simple question, even though I am not computer illiterate.
I also appreciate answers quickly and see , or fail to see, what
crosspostings hurt. I like the most people to see a post and if any of you
see the same question in another newsgroup, why not just pass over it? I
always believe that if it (the question) is in more than 1 NG, my chances of
an answer are better, because not all people subscribe tro all NG's.

Now may I come to your anwer Para 3.
How would I know what name I am logged on to? I start windows xp and the
next thing I see( after the POST) is the Welcome screen. I never select
anything such as Administrator or my name.

I am not in an office networked environment but on a home computer.

When I want to del for example "all users" it says nothing, seems to delete
it but it remains there. Even though the directory is totally empty. Tried
it under CMD, also Safe Mode and then CMD. Still no luck.

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

> "Ritter197@Comcast.net" <Ritter197@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I have the following folders all pertaining to Windows XP and believe
> there
>> are way too many, but do not know how and what to delete:
>>
>> +Administrator
>> All Users (zero in it)
>> +All users.Windows
>> +Karl
>> +Karl.Home xxxx
>>

>> When I go to Explore I see all of the above. I cannot delete the All
> users,
>> even though it is empty. At least not under Explore.
>>
>> Any comments appreciated.
>>

> I assume you're talking about "Profile" folders, i.e. those kept
> in "c:\Documents and Settings". If so then you should start by
> working out which ones are currently in use:
> 1. Click Start / Run and type cmd {OK}
> 2. Type these commands and make a note of the "Profile" response:
> set all
> set user
> 3. Ask yourself if you ever log on under a different name, or if your
> machine is sometimes connected to a Windows domain (e.g. in a
> networked office environment). If the answer is no then run these
> commands:
> cd /d "c:\Documents and Settings"
> rd /s /q "All Users" (select the one that is not in use)
> rd /s /q "Karl.Home xxx" (ditto)
>
> If you cannot delete them, what message do you get? If it is
> "Permission denied" then you must seize ownership of these
> folders via "My Computer". Google gives you lots of links
> on how to do it. Just look for "Windows XP" "Seize ownership".
>
> By the way, please go easy with your crossposts. I feel that
> you have far too many of them for such a simple question -
> same as you have too many profile folders!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

See below.

> I do appreciate your response but let me first say that to me it was and
is
> not a simple question, even though I am not computer illiterate.
> I also appreciate answers quickly and see , or fail to see, what
> crosspostings hurt. I like the most people to see a post and if any of you
> see the same question in another newsgroup, why not just pass over it? I
> always believe that if it (the question) is in more than 1 NG, my chances
of
> an answer are better, because not all people subscribe tro all NG's.

If you hurt your big toe then you do not seek two or three
medical opinions. It wastes everybody's time. Same here.

> Now may I come to your anwer Para 3.
> How would I know what name I am logged on to? I start windows xp and the
> next thing I see( after the POST) is the Welcome screen. I never select
> anything such as Administrator or my name.

The command I gave you tells you clearly:
set user (when executed from a Command Prompt)

> I am not in an office networked environment but on a home computer.
>
> When I want to del for example "all users" it says nothing, seems to
delete
> it but it remains there. Even though the directory is totally empty. Tried
> it under CMD, also Safe Mode and then CMD. Still no luck.

I suggested this command to delete an unwanted profile folder:

rd /s /q "c:\Documents and Settings\All Users"

If this command fails then it generates an error message, which is
contrary to what you say. Try again, by typing these commands
from a Command Prompt ***verbatim***:

dir "%AllUsersProfile%\.." > c:\report.txt
(note the two dots after the backslash!)
rd /s /q "Karl.Home xxx" 1>>c:\report.txt 2>c:\error.txt
dir "%AllUsersProfile%\.." >> c:\report.txt

Now use notepad.exe to open the two files c:\report.txt and c:\error.txt
and paste their contents into your response.

"Pentium" <pent@anycomp.info> wrote in message
> Just goto START>CONTROL PANEL>USER ACCOUNTS (this is assuming the profile
> you logged into was an administrator profile) click on the account you
want
> to scorch and "DELETE THE ACCOUNT" ..you cannot delet "All Users" in
> Explorer, it's a default profile setting ... don't even worry about it.

The OP has several "All Users" folders. The superfluous ones can be deleted
(although I wonder why he worries about them. Their existence is of no
consequence whatsoever).