Question Too many XMP profiles

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Only the maximum xmp profile embedded in the memory allows. Yes, memory have embedded jedec profile information the motherboard reads and applies parameters to suit specification.

Overclocking past xmp speeds is a gamble and is done manually.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure why xmp is showing 3600 in the bios because that only reads the profile written in the memory. In your case it's xmp 2666 profile (4th column) is maximum these modules were designed for. I think the 3600 you saw is maximum frequency your motherboard can run if set ram manually. Xmp just loads the memory's preset config so it shouldn't go over what the memory tells it can do.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Those are manual frequencies. Your 2666 ram might run at 2933 or it'll bsod. Ram are sold at speeds theyre designed to handle, that's the whole point why you see so many different speeds on the market. If say 2133mhz ram was to operate at 3000 then there'd be no point buying 3000 ram.

Yes, 1.35v is needed over 2666. Some lower end 2666 even need 1.35v to run.

Overclocking ram (not xmp) is a gamble.

George Moytsios

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
So, long story short, i should either buy faster ram in the first place or manually overclock mine and hope for the best?

P.S. Is it safe to try and run it on 2933, could it fry my PC?(without changing the voltage or CLs, just the frequency)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah you understand it.

Hoping for the best with your current ram. Ram can be finicky but people have overclocked them. Your best chance is applying 1.35v, maybe 1.4v. 1.4v is safe for ddr4. Ddr4 standard is 1.2v but they do run at 1.35v for faster memory 2666+. Look at any ram over 2666 and they all should be 1.35v.

If voltage alone isn't stable then thats when you increase the four main timings up one by one.

If your ram isn't stable, your system will either shutdown after applying and rebooting or do boot loops. In which case, will need to clear cmos to reset bios defaults. If boot is successful, there can be crashes in Windows or games. It can be a tedious process.