Too much for my power supply?

Solution
I would recommend upgrading to the Corsair rm650x (which will do just fine) or the rm750x in the future if you are doing some upgrades. If you don't upgrade the power supply you might bottleneck some of your components as there won't be quite enough power going through your PC

james_es

Prominent
Nov 21, 2017
I would recommend upgrading to the Corsair rm650x (which will do just fine) or the rm750x in the future if you are doing some upgrades. If you don't upgrade the power supply you might bottleneck some of your components as there won't be quite enough power going through your PC

Solution
While I accept that overprovisioning a psu is always better, a realistic perspective is this :

40a at 12v = 480, even with 80% that's 384w.

Gaming loads in gpu typically won't go above 75% power limit in stock. That's the reason why even xfx got away with sli, cfx ready badge.

So technically and in stock, it's very much possible to run 2 970 in sli with that xfx ts 550. But like you said, for oc, it's not possible/recommended.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
General recommended size for sli gtx970 is 700w. (good luck finding a good 700w psu) so sizes for sli should be a good 650w to a mediocre 750w. I run a 970 at 124% (above factory OC) settings on a good 550w with an I7 3770k at 4.6GHz. No way I'd add a second card without a move to a good 650w, as I have a few games I'll push 99% gpu usage with 4k DSR. Generally 66% gpu usage is maxed out.

Stock values, I'd be tempted, but even then, I'd not be pushing the 4k DSR and 99% usage, even considering the second card will only be pulling @70% of the primary card at best.