Too Much GPU?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
Would a RX 580 8GB be too much GPU for a Q9650 OC at 3.5GHZ? I imagine there will be some bottleneck, but too much to make it worth the cost?
Would be gaming at 1080p/60. 16GB RAM.

Solution
I’d say it’s too much. Your cpu is well below the minimum for most/all AAA games in recent years. The 580 will play any AAA game at 1080p very well. It would be a very unbalanced system.

If you plan to upgrade the cpu in the near future then why not do the gpu now.
I’d say it’s too much. Your cpu is well below the minimum for most/all AAA games in recent years. The 580 will play any AAA game at 1080p very well. It would be a very unbalanced system.

If you plan to upgrade the cpu in the near future then why not do the gpu now.

Solution

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

@ iamsensible
I already have the Q9560

I pretty much figured the old CPU would bottleneck the RX 580, but I was wondering if it would be enough to make spending $150 on a used card impractical.
Another thought I had if the CPU is too weak, was to use AMD VSR to have the card scale frames to 4K and then displaying at 1080p. That way the card would be utilized to its max, I'd get a better appearance and a bit wider view. I'm mostly a single player gamer.

Yeah, way too much, will bottleneck the GPU badly.

The CPU even bottlenecks a GTX 1050Ti pretty bad.

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

Thanks for the reply. Did you check out the Q9560/RX-580 video above?
Bottleneck or not, the RX-580 looks pretty good working with the Q9650.

That's BS....

There are a lot of channels like that out there that are full of crap catering to older systems with fake results.

It's all about the views.... ;)

Exactly, any of the more modern AAA titles will cripple that system.

A lot of those channels that cater to the budget and or old system people aren't exactly above board.

All they are looking for is hits etc on their channels so they make sure their results will draw the people (suckers) in.

There is so much bad and or misleading info on YT it's unbelievable.

Tech Deals actually did a video of that CPU with a GTX 1050Ti and the CPU was sitting at 100% almost all the time, it was bottlenecking a GTX 1050Ti....

I agree YT is not a reliable source of information, you need to know enough to work out they are talking BS or overlooking key points.

Yeah, MOST as in almost all don't have a clue... ;)

Almost all of them cook the results to what they want them to be.

It's not that hard to do either. :sarcastic:

Undoubtably a q9650 will hold back a rx 580.

That said.....

If you have tgr opportunity to buy a used card at a good price there isn't really any practical reason you couldn't pair a 580 with it.

Its totally unnecessary to try & force gpu usage up for the sake of it, who cares if the card us running at 50% capacity if you're still getting decent fps?

As said newer heavy cpu dependant titles will cripple fps, no way around that with a cpu limitation - looking at stuff like gta v, tomb rauder, hitman here + a faur few others but you will be able to max graphics settings.

I'd ask what gpu you currently own?

I did a video awhile back showing what GTA V will do to even a GTX 1080 and i7 7700K @ 4.8 Ghz at max settings at 1080P.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66yae-zYfC4&t=99s"][/video]

Compared to Optimized settings in Gforce Experience....

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2G0njnehAM&t=18s"][/video]

I doubt you will get 50 FPS out of the Q9650 in GTA 5 at max settings with any GPU.

GTA 5 will cripple that CPU at max settings.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu sets the fps limit. Gpu sets detail limits. The Rx580 is strong enough to easily overcompensate for any detail setting op uses. What's going to limit the fps is the cpu simply can't get that code to the gpu fast enough. And it's not the speed of the cpu that's the issue, it's internal, it's IPC is not good enough to shunt all that info through.

The cpu is not holding back or throttling the gpu, it's simply not going to allow the gpu to live upto its full potential. Which is common enough in older systems with access to stronger gpus.

It's like having a sports car capable of 300mph, in a town where the speed limit is 40mph. Kinda overkill, but not going to hurt. You could even downclock the gpu and have it run cooler and quieter at loads and still have room to spare.

Won't have to downclock it because it would only be running at ~30% anyway with that HUGE bottleneck.

That CPU can't even keep up with a GTX 1050Ti.