TOO much OC'ing? Are these the symptoms??

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
Signs & Symptons of TOO much OC'ing are ??

Motherboard is UD3P using a Q9400 quad core, am wondering if some of my symptoms and signs are from TOO MUCH Overclocking?

1. Frequent non-responsiveness from non-heavy cpu programs running.
2. When something freezes and I click ctrl-alt-del it takes up to 5 minutes before the task manager is running and workable.
3. As #2, I have freezes for simple things like firefox or office excel programs, no hardcore gaming involved.

It's common for me to have at least 10 freezes per week, 50% unrecoverable causing ME to reboot.

I am NOT having random reboots.

I overclocked from stock 2.66 Ghz to 3.2 Ghz speed and nothing seemed unusual.

It did this before overclocking but it seems to have doubled in the number of 'not responding' messages from applications.

So have I described enough that should make me go back to stock speeds and leave this overclocking alone?

Please... PLEASE let me know...

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
The symptoms of too much OCing is when your wife wakes you up at night stating you were yelling "RAISE THE VCORE MORE" in your sleep. :lol:

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

Yeh, I still like the wife joke one better too.

Well, if it was happening before the OC, that means it's not an OC problem. The OC just magnified the problem. You can try swapping out hardware, uninstalling all drivers, then reinstalling, etc...... Hard to diagnose a problem when you can't sit in front of it.

Does it give you any errors in your event log????

Have you installed any new hardware/software recently???

How old is the computer, has it always done this???

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
I do not know a safe way to uninstall ALL drivers and then re-install ALL drivers, please give me some tips if you know of any.

How do I find event log, copy and paste results here?

I installed a secondary IDE drive but things are no worse with it installed plus my error messages seem to never point to a hard drive issue.

This computer is about 4 months old and since install of Vista + 1 day it's been this bug-happy.

Any ideas?

In case I wasn't clear about Vista, It's Vista Home Premium 64-bit version.

thanks

p.s. I've owned/used computers since the Commodore 64/Dos 5.0 days and this Vista is more headache than ALL those previous OS's combined! By far the most buggy and easy to crash. However I still haven't got those terrible BSOD or random reboots.

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Well, i've been using Vista for quite a while now without any problems, but i'm sure i'm in the minority.

You can start by opening the control panel, performance info, advanced tools then Open Reliability & Performance Monitor and see what that says. In that same advanced tools is also the Event Viewer but it's a nightmare to try and track something down in there unless it has just happened. Also in the advanced tools is a system health report you can open and generate a report. One of these should point you in a general direction, it's most likely just a driver issue.

If all else fails you can set Bios to default, flash most recent Bios, flash chipset drivers and video card drivers. I'm presuming you have Vista set for automatic updates.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Well, I'll restate the first piece of advice you got:

Download Prime95 and stress test the CPU for stability for several hours (5hr+) with the Small FFT setting.

If prime95 fails or you BSOD, your overclock is unstable and you need to bump up the vcore.
Otherwise your problem lies elsewhere

RJR

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009

He stated in the original post that he had this problem before the computer was OCed.

irkjab

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
He also said that the problems seemed to get worse when he OCd. Prime95 would serve to eliminate a defective cpu as the cause of these problems as well.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

Once I locate PRIME95 I'm going to run it overnight with that setting you mentioned. BUT BUT I'm going to get rid of OC and see what happen when it's tested at stock speeds...

Hope you all are still checking this thread when I find out because I might not have a chance for at least 36 hrs from now..

agains thanks.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Could be RAM going bad, could be a heat issue, could be virus infection?

If it did it before you overclocked and if the frozen screens doubled in frequency after you overclocked, then your system became twice as unstable. Tome, sounds like your BIOS settings are causing the problem. Set the BIOS settings to default and run Prime 95. If Prime95 is stable for at least 30 min or an hour, the your system is fine and it was your BIOS settings causing the problem. BTW, when I overclock it's usually my overclocked RAM settings that's the problem since my RAM is rated for DDR800 and I try and push it to 900, 1000, or 1066.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

I downloaded the 64 bit version of prime95 because my cpu is 64-bit but I don't know how to run it. I tried all the menus and anytime I started a test it would initialize and stop with no error messages of any kind...

What can I do?

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Im suprised no one mentioned anything like viruses/malware causing a problem until recently- yes they can even with small tasks.

Premature hard drive failure or over activity due to viruses/malware can cause system hangs and a lot of unresponsive actions.

RAM going bad usually never recovers if it causes a halt.

Too much running in your physical memory can also cause you to move to your virtual pagefile - in turn increasing hard drive usage and complicating the situation if any of the above are true.

weatherphobia

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008

AV i'm using is NOD32, use also Spybot and Malicious ramoval tools...I'm just about as 'safe' as I can be. Combined with I *NEVER* download or run scripts unless they are from manufactures or well-known safe sites

I even use NoFlash to block flash scripts and java scripts and have adblock to kill ad's on websites..

Do you think there is something I missed?