Question Too much oil on fan bearing?

Amanou

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
So I was doing my annual PC dust cleaning where I take my PC outside and blast it with air. But after a couple of days my PC was making an annoying short squeaking noise, which I located it to my PSU. I opened it up and added sewing machine oil to the fan bearing and closed it back again. It solved my first issue but it seemed to cause another because after that I started hearing a buzzing/humming sound that I haven't heard from it before. I figured that maybe I added too little oil and so I went through the process of opening it back up again and I added another couple of drops but it didn't seem to have made a difference.

Something that DID help however was that I opened up the case and rearranged a few cables and other things. The vibrations were much less audible after that. Now it's so hard to hear that I'm going crazy because I don't know if I fixed it and I should ignore the issue or if it's still there...

Now I'm worrying if I might have done more harm than good. May have added too much oil? Should I open it up and carefully suck some back up with a piece of tissue? Could this harm my fan and PSU in any way or is this really nothing to worry about and I should just ignore it?

So I was doing my annual PC dust cleaning where I take my PC outside and blast it with air. But after a couple of days my PC was making an annoying short squeaking noise, which I located it to my PSU. I opened it up and added sewing machine oil to the fan bearing and closed it back again. It solved my first issue but it seemed to cause another because after that I started hearing a buzzing/humming sound that I haven't heard from it before. I figured that maybe I added too little oil and so I went through the process of opening it back up again and I added another couple of drops but it didn't seem to have made a difference.

Something that DID help however was that I opened up the case and rearranged a few cables and other things. The vibrations were much less audible after that. Now it's so hard to hear that I'm going crazy because I don't know if I fixed it and I should ignore the issue or if it's still there...

Now I'm worrying if I might have done more harm than good. May have added too much oil? Should I open it up and carefully suck some back up with a piece of tissue? Could this harm my fan and PSU in any way or is this really nothing to worry about and I should just ignore it?
If you didn't stop fans from turning while blowing it wit air, you probably ruined bearings, no oil can fix that.

Amanou

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
If you didn't stop fans from turning while blowing it wit air, you probably ruined bearings, no oil can fix that.
I didn't blow any air directly onto any of the fans, so they didn't spin when I cleaned the PC. I did spin it a little bit with my finger. Not to fast though, barely enough to spin one rotation. So do you think it should be fine then? I really just want to forget about this at this point, it's so annoying having to worry about it.

I didn't blow any air directly onto any of the fans, so they didn't spin when I cleaned the PC. I did spin it a little bit with my finger. Not to fast though, barely enough to spin one rotation. So do you think it should be fine then? I really just want to forget about this at this point, it's so annoying having to worry about it.
How did you oil it ? Did you open back of fan, taken of sticker and plug ? One small drop of mineral oil should do it. That usually doesn't last long, better way is to take fan part off the axle and lubricate with Lithium grease.

Amanou

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
How did you oil it ? Did you open back of fan, taken of sticker and plug ? One small drop of mineral oil should do it. That usually doesn't last long, better way is to take fan part off the axle and lubricate with Lithium grease.
I dropped a couple of drops of sewing machine oil underneath the sticker on the bearing, spun it with my finger a few times and put everything back.