Question Too much packet loss

NightFury_

Commendable
Jul 2, 2017
i've been getting too much packet loss recently in games like Rocket League, R6 Siege. Rocket league being the worst, i also play rocket league competitively and its really annoying and i dont know what to do so i did some tests while gaming (only to google via pingplotter) : View: https://imgur.com/a/JG7YnaN
the internet cable coming from outside to my router is also cut down abit by my door constantly smashing on it cuz of wind, dont know if that makes any difference considering its been like that for awhile.

Yep, cable isn't meant to have that happen to it. Change the cable and check it again. I don't think it will solve it as it looks like you've got the serious losses at or after your ISP, so run the plots again after the cable swap and we'll continue to diagnose it.

NightFury_

Commendable
Jul 2, 2017
So I've been busy and haven't gotten around to changing the cable yet but I've tested again with a different router and I'm getting the same packet loss but now there are Hops 2,5,6,8,9 and there's packet loss on 2nd hop. Does this confirm its the bad cable problem as I heard packet loss on 2nd hop means it's cable problem?

You need to learn how these tools work. You can not look at any one particular hop and make any conclusions. It is more that you see a pattern in the loss between hops. The most important thing to remember is that if it does not actually affect your traffic to the end node then all the so called loss and delay in the path is a lie.

Lets say instead these routers are traffic lights on your way to work. You see reports on the news that a bunch are broken and causing delays. You drive to work passing though those intersections and you get to work on time. This means that the reports of problems in the path are incorrect.

In addition a bad cable normally causes issue to your own router it can not cause issues to hop2 directly. Hop2 is the connection between your house and the ISP. Now it could be a problem with that cable but you were talking about ethernet cables inside your house before.

Your best test is to use a simple ping command. The ISP techs are lucky if they even know how to use ping, stuff like ping plotter is beyond some of them to understand.

You want to leave a ping run to your router IP and to hop 2. Unfortunately in your case hop2 is configured to not respond so you need to use hop 3.

If you see no loss to your router but loss to hop3 then you have a issue outside your house....ie past your router. It is much better when hop2 responds because hop3 might be central router and the ISP will say its fine. Since you can't actually prove hop2 is bad the ISP can be really dumb and try to blame your stuff.

I guess it depends who is responsible for the cable you feel is damaged. Most ISP I know always bring the connection inside the house even if that means they drill a hole thought the outside wall.

NightFury_

Commendable
Jul 2, 2017
Your best test is to use a simple ping command. The ISP techs are lucky if they even know how to use ping, stuff like ping plotter is beyond some of them to understand.

You want to leave a ping run to your router IP and to hop 2. Unfortunately in your case hop2 is configured to not respond so you need to use hop 3.

If you see no loss to your router but loss to hop3 then you have a issue outside your house....ie past your router. It is much better when hop2 responds because hop3 might be central router and the ISP will say its fine. Since you can't actually prove hop2 is bad the ISP can be really dumb and try to blame your stuff.

I guess it depends who is responsible for the cable you feel is damaged. Most ISP I know always bring the connection inside the house even if that means they drill a hole thought the outside wall.
Like I said before, I've tested with different router and now Hop 2,5,6,8,9 are responding and there's packet loss on 2,3,5,6(sometimes 4) and 9 10