maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Hi. I got way too much process (50) and in file freckency is 532 MB (sometimes it goes to 1,4 GB its too hign?

Specs:
Pentium 4 2.0 GHZ
Asus p4s8x-x MB
Gefroce 3 TI video card
Some overheating problems

pat

Expert
Sorry im french but im talking about when i do ctrl+ alt + del (win XP),
in performance. the 2nd thing its at 1,4 GB. its normal?

That's depend of how much mmory you have and what is running..

They to boot in safe mode just too see the difference

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
i got em all removed now i got:
47 process and 329 mb exange rate.
If I were you I'd run those tests frequently. You don´t have too leave spyware doctor allways on (look at tray), just run it for infections search.
One other thing that might be usefull, take a look at the processes that are running, an see wich one is using more system resources. If you have some program running when you don´t want, go to the program options and stop it.
If each time you reboot your pc this program stills starting with OS, better unninstal it and instal it again. Running a regular anti-virus can help as well. I don´t know if I made myself clear, so i leave you a screenshot.

http://tinypic.com/k2l9bn.jpg

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
lol don't even bother with MS Anti Spyware or Adaware.
total crap.
combined they found 8/187 problems on my comp... the ones below found almost all of them.

- SpyWare Doctor
- Webroot Spysweeper

If you're too cheap for that run CounterSpy, also very good and free.

philderbeast

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2005
definatly spyware... can you send a screenie of your cpu utilisation chart where it has been on idal for a while... if your getting big jumps in cpu useage (and not runing folding@home, seti@home etc) then you definatly have virus/spyware problems ;)

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
definatly spyware... can you send a screenie of your cpu utilisation chart where it has been on idal for a while... if your getting big jumps in cpu useage (and not runing folding@home, seti@home etc) then you definatly have virus/spyware problems ;)

what do u mean??

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
probably yes, but check your Page File size too, it should be 1.5 times bigger than the amount of ram on the system.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Chances are you also have stuff running that you dont need.

I saw processes named 'helper' in a task list... IMO those are suspect. probably not adware or a virus, but something you can get rid of.
Put your mouse cursor over each icon in your system tray. if its something you use a lot - keep it. if not - get rid of it. either by uninstalling the program, or disabling the icon.

example:
I saw an nvidia icon in your system tray. that runs as a process. If you use the features on that menu, then keep it. if you dont.. disable it.

My laptop boots up and shows 17 processes running under windows 2000, so its possible to drasticly reduce the number of processes.

runswindows95

Distinguished
Ever hear of "msconfig"? Run that and disable everything in the startup such as "Itunes", but don't turn off your virus scans and such. See if that helps. Also, try not running too many programs at once. Photoshop is a huge program!

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Ever hear of "msconfig"? Run that and disable everything in the startup such as "Itunes", but don't turn off your virus scans and such. See if that helps. Also, try not running too many programs at once. Photoshop is a huge program!
Man, that was my screenshot to explain maypep_necro how to see what progrm was using greats amounts of ram :D

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
probably yes, but check your Page File size too, it should be 1.5 times bigger than the amount of ram on the system.

page size? what do you mean?

Page file size. Basically when you pc runs out of ram, uses the hard disk drive to simulate ram (random acess memory), and thats bad, because it is going to run slow. Your Page file size should be 1.5 or 2 times your ram size, so if yiu got 256mb your PF would be 384 or 512, at 512 it should be 768 or 1 gig.

Right click in My Computer and Properties>Advanced>Performance(in English?)>Definitions>Advanced>Virtual Memory> Change.
If you have twoHDD divide it for the two.

Screenshot: http://tinypic.com/k48jfm.jpg