Too much thermal paste on cpu?

Dec 11, 2018
I applied a generous amount of thermal paste on my cpu,without cleaning off the old paste on the cpu and heatsink, and I applied too much it dripped onto the sides and a little bit got on the sides of the pins. My pc wont boot so i tried removing the paste using rubbing alchohol (90%) but it still didn't work. I wasnt able to get it all off because its in some small areas. Also whenever i take the heatsink off it pulls out the cpu with it even with the lock on.

mrsotok

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
What socket does your motherboard have? You can clean thermal paste off the sides with cotton buds and alcohol. Double check if you've connected all the cables

winks42

Respectable
PGA type cpus will come out of the socket attached to the heat sink because the latch doesn’t hold the cpu down fully. And also the paste is cold and not warmed up. But I recommend trying to remove all the thermal paste and make sure it’s dry (whole mobo) before starting.

this won't help you with this issue today, but will help you prevent re-occurring

Puget Sound did an interesting review of the various thermal paste application techniques,using a thick pc of acrylic for the heat sink - read it, it'll give you a good idea of how much to use and how to use it

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Thermal-Paste-Application-Techniques-170/

Dec 11, 2018
Yes the cpu came out with the heatsink because of the thermal paste. Do you think anything in the socket couldve broken? Because to my eye the cpu looks fine, except for a little bit of thermal paste in some places it shouldnt be. Dont know if that paste could be the reason it wont boot