Too much thermal paste on ryzen 1600??

Wieze

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
So this is interesting.
This is my first build and i've been stressed out for days. And i've found another reason! So there is thermal paste going over the edges of my ryzen 1600. The temps are about 30 degrees celcius idle and about 70 degrees celcius while gaming. I wasn't expecting this at all since at the time of applying the thermal paste i thought i wasn't using enough! But in the end it sure wasn't too little. So what do i do? I just got the thermal paste from some random pc store and i don't know if its conductive in case you were wondering :)
So thanks in advance and please help!

BTW: The picture is taken through a hole on the top of my case

yYVH8_maePkknkZeRfYc_SlS8aTSVaEtnN4t3ipGjenNKbDMu7QCNwlk245ObxJGFUfZ5THLeZZvk3GDwpeXie-WKdJ8UeEaFFkGpdgKZr0jaWHS99yjDRACEXBhG3hl7bt9xGimNSrNLDRIGfw2hhqcVNGjww9pS6jdsnS0qUiPcXKeH7hAnld2Uw74jk9wl2H-HH8Df8cG4HO-N3acBwBUkPARFE824RHrUXWYZ4QZ77aJ_2MxlgdbZsBOG0_5wKccJybaA5LtjiWGR13w9tmzFvFssIlwu8rSIJ2iqEvCcMOn6ZzL7wpEf4U-CiBdiJCd1Da-65DnCTZJQ9iB00bxmC6gTPE6BuyPNfWbRgPBrFsBxn-1gb545ubkyP2XheSFUpaBa4KFJIZsbEGJuSgsy9y3HxZuYhjxnEkZQQxaQTweEBC6_tjm80-yxMh5ePPLoqUdpa-C9hOVzJl2U5v2iuCL23p6uLFdkNSiYQc-lRtKtHcCe48QlZsZEH8UKea37Rh95Lw59pvkdXeYIBF0ONBlfGKoj8j_n46gBsVZbLLj70_xwQfZ9ruuEzXqQRmryswQLv-qhPe_0-dnhdoIcS8BkeC7PPWzf7NlPsV4jahW3d6uUmOI-YBS4EU2py2S6PFmiRJaXmRNdWAUCvMD4gD-2q3TS3OIK0lDQG9JhA=w940-h974-no

Solution
Obvious answer. Remove the CPU, clean it up VERY carefully and use a much smaller amount. There are countless web resources that will show you how to do this safely and properly.

Ditt44

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Obvious answer. Remove the CPU, clean it up VERY carefully and use a much smaller amount. There are countless web resources that will show you how to do this safely and properly.

Solution

SubaruWRX244

Honorable
May 11, 2017
Dont worry the same thing happend to my Ryzen 1600. I applied the Stock cooler with the Pre-Applied thermal paste. (AKA Cake Icing) And it basically glued the heatsink to my processor. Had to work it off only to realize the thermal paste dropped down the edges... I mean alot. Actually got the paste on the pins but thats entirely my fault and AMD's for layering it like its clay.
Anyways : DO NOT TAKE THE CPU OUT. This was my mistake. Leave the CPU in but take the cooler off and clean it . I take it out to clean it and got some on the pins due to there being so much. Once again just clean the sides and your fine.

Wieze

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

Well i really appreciate you taking the time to answer but i already took the cpu out :/
This was the second time i had to take it out. First time i ruined amd's paste when fitting the cooler since i didn't know they had pre-applied some paste already! Second time was today when i decided to try again based on the answer i had gotten. This time there was some on the pins and socket but i guess i cleaned it up as much as i could. And now i applied the tiniest bit of thermal paste and it still went over the edges :(
I just hate thermal paste and thermal paste hates me haha.
At this moment it seems fine i just hope that there wont be any problems in the future because of this...

SubaruWRX244

Honorable
May 11, 2017
Ye taking the CPU out to clean overly done thermal paste is not a very good idea. But its whatever. Live and Learn I guess lol. Anyways I wish you the best of luck as I'm going to get my Ryzen 1600 fixed. Not working properly. Need any other help just DM me! Good Luck!

Wieze

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

Thank you very much! I cleaned what i could clean while the cpu was in its socket and took it out to clean what i could clean on the socket and bottom of the cpu. Im sorry to hear your cpu isn't working properly. The best of luck with it! I hope your system will be working perfectly soon!

Wieze

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

Thanks for the answer! I've seen your answer many times but wasn't sure if i was exaggerating, so i had to ask. I cleaned it and applied thermal paste again. this time about the size of a rice thing. Still see some thermal paste over the edges though. But this time it's not that extreme.
I do wonder how many people have this problem without noticing though. Because most of the time there is no way to check the cpu behind the cooler. And the amount of thermal paste i used wasn't that much at all. i guess it would be the amount used in the line method of applying thermal paste. Also the temps were fine.