Took a tour of intel today

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
Well as part of one of my college computer courses we took a tour of the production plant intel has out here in my town.Of course our tour guide was only a PR person and had no real knowegle about chips they were makeing.I asked him if he knew anything about the dual core processors but sadly he didn't.Though he did have some usful information the fabs out here are makeing the 3.2 3.4 and 3.6 prescotts and the intinium (dont think i spelled that right) cores as well some of the northwood chips.He said 65% of intels pentiums are made here.Also every thing here is shiped to mayalsia once its done.The place was huge and they had just added on another fab to make the new 12" waffers.One thing that i thought sucked was intel employees dont get any discount on chips.WTF is up with that?.All in all its was cool but i wish i could of talked to someone that was more knoweglable so i could of got a better answer about there dual core cpus and the future plans for the pentuim.

40k in aquamark 3
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
</A>
P4b2.4@2.8||1024mb DDR@392mhz||9800pro@414/732||Viewsonic UltraBrite 19"||Panisonic DVD-RW<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PukePile on 06/22/04 04:05 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
All in all its was cool but i wish i could of talked to someone that was more knoweglable so i could of got a better answer about there dual core cpus and the future plans for the pentuim.
Do you really think that Intel cares about students visiting their FAB? they only do this for FREE publicity/promotion. Some of your mate will probably get an Intel chip within the next couple of months. Most company do "guided tour", because this builds confidence into company/products.

And don't forget that the persons who knows about Intel CPU design are not working in the FAB, they are in labs.

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

eagle8635

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
Most of the time people who work in retail are the ones who get discounts. Intel can't give employees a discount because they don't sell directly to customers.

-----
The two most common elements in the univers are hydrogen and stupidity.

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
i know plenty of companies that give their employees discounts even though they are not the retailier.

Its easy, employes get a voucher or a coupon, go to the desired retailer and get thier discount, the retailer then redeems the coupon/voucher to get the money back. simple.

I've got a book of matches,
I've got a can of kerosene,
I've got some bright ideas involving you and me.