Dec 10, 2022
I'm looking for a copy tool from your experience which meets the below requirements :
  • GUI and work automatically
  • copy file server from windows server 2019 to Azure blob
  • can schedule tasks
  • can work on the background
  • to email me when any task is done or when any problem happens
  • support SMB
  • easy to use
  • 0% file loss
Your real experience is very important to me . We need all our data to be copied successfully because this is the way we are assured we can restore the files in case of disaster recovery whatever we copy to HDs or clouds.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Your question appears to be very much a homework question or some other course work assignment.

Forum rules prohibit assistance with doing homework assignments, etc..

Your question may not be homework but there is no way to really know from this end.

You have very specific requirements.

There are many ways to address each of those requirements. Individually or grouped.

What you need to do is to provide what you believe to be the answers/solutions or possible answers/solutions to each of the posted requirements.

Show your work, cite references, and otherwise explain what you believe would be a workable solutions for your disaster recovery requirements and plans.

Then ask for comments and suggestions.

Dec 10, 2022
Maybe this question looks like what you said, but I tried to make it more specific and easy to understand. Also my low experience with backup and copy tools and what a suitable tool for me, makes me ask a question like this.
I did a search on your site and found these tools, I don't want to use a tool, and then to find Cons after a period, so I ask for a real experience which makes me go on with my IT manager and give him a good advice.
This is what I found on your site :
Macrium Reflect
Easeus
Acronis
Freefilesync
Allwaysync
Gs Richcopy360
Goodsync
AOEMI Backupper
Teracopy
Resilio
and many, I don't know what the purpose of each one is and what is good for me.

- Finally thanks for your reply and If you find my question not professional or stupid, you can delete it

Ralston18

Titan
Your question is not unprofessional nor stupid.

It is a real world issue and consideration. Overall, there is much to be thought about and determined.

The starting point is to identify and document your (and/or your IT manager's) specific back up and copy requirements. Some software is more suited for home end users than commercial users. Likewise for supporting hardware, network devices, and communication channels. Likely there are security and staffing requirements. Updates to the software must be implemented and tested. You cannot assume that an update truly works until tested in your environment.

The work is 24/7.

What devices need to be backed up, how much data needs to be backed up, how often, where are the target backup drives, who manages the back and otherwise will do the work? Plus be responsible for ensuring that the backups are recoverable and readable. Backing up data is one thing - having a recovery plan in case of catastrophe is another. Hardware, software, communications/network, will be needed along with a written plan to implement both the plan and recovery procedures.

List in detail and as quantifiable as possible as many requirements as you can. For example: what is the budget - how much is the IT manager willing to spend or being budgeted to spend?

The plan does not need to be immediately perfect - just get down in writing as much as you can to start with. Then modify thereafter.

Quantifying requirements provides a way to measure results and compare products. Not always a one to one match so judgement is called for. "User friendly" is inherently subjective. "Most reliable" may be a claim - what is the basis for that claim?

Start with a plan and a list of accompanying requirements that you (and IT manager) deem necessary and applicable. No harm in being idealistic. The plan will evolve and change no matter what.

Then consider a test environment. Most software companies will permit a trial period of their products. Especially commercial grade products.

Set up a test environment, install the various backup/copying apps and determine how well each product meets or fails to meet your requirements. One product might be very user friendly but not flexible enough for your requirements. Another product may be more powerful but requires a command line interface that could be more complicated. There are always trade-offs.....

"Hand's on" counts. If a product has problem installing you may not discover that until after a purchase has been made. Not good.

Be very sure that that test environment is isolated from the rest of the network devices to avoid any accidental loss or data corruption.

Even if that test environment is a single computer or server with an attached "backup drive" somewhere in the network. Download, install, configure, and test the backup package. Be realistic, stress the product: what happens to the backup if power is lost? How well does the package recover? What about a failed target drive(s)? Loss of network?

Another important aspect is having notifications when backups succeed, fail, or otherwise go astray. What messages should be sent out and to whom? Then what?

At this point you are where you do not know what you do not know. Visit the various product websites. Read the User Guides/Manuals, read Forums and FAQ's.

Pay attention to the fine print, the caveats, the details. A product may claim to be the fastest but that may be true only if a really high end server (whatever that might mean) is being used....

Certainly pay attention to what is written or said - what is not said may be more important and/or relevant to your requirements and environment.

Document any communications (preferably all in writing) with any potential software seller/source. Especially responses to your questions and concerns.

The more you read and understand the more you will know "what is good" for you. And quite possibly for the IT manager as well.

IT takes work and the more you can do on your own to learn and to grow professionally - well maybe some day you can be the IT manager.....

Dec 10, 2022
WOW , you are a legend
I will tell you what we need simply as per your request , we need to copy data from windows server 2019 to Azure blob , this data about 280 G , we need after the data full copied , any update happens on the source to be updated automatically on the destination daily , this update will be about 500 M daily , and we just need the updated data to be transferred only to not consume more storage in short time in Azure blob (you know how it cost per 512 G) .
this besides the main question requirements

Ralston18

Titan
Very good. Fairly straightforward and not at all uncommon.

The specific requirements are being established. And you are quantifying things: 500M daily, cost per 512G, etc..

(Note, full disclosure: not sure about the costs per 512 G of storage. However, I would not be surprised if exceeding that 512 G limit by even 1 byte would result in a charge for 1024 G. Read the billing details to be sure about how charges are calculated and applied. Usually not in the customer's favor. In fact, it is very important to get legal input regarding any contracts offered. Details matter and the fine print may simply nullify responsibilities. Or otherwise absolve such.)

The source database being 280G with daily activity being about 500 M of + or - changes per day - correct? With the database size remaining around 280G - correct? Is it likely that the base database will grow? If so, how fast?

Noted: "any update happens on the source to be updated automatically on the destination daily ".

I understand "daily". However, if the data is transactional and needs to be saved and stored on an ongoing basis then some "end of day" snapshot may not be sufficient. And all lost data reentered in some other manner - if possible.

There are different type of backups as you may already know: full, incremental, differential, and variations thereof.

Here is a link that summarizes the backup types:

Backup types.

The link is provided only as a reference. You can easily find other similar links, discussions, and tutorials. And I recommend doing so.

So if the Windows Server 2019 host fails at noon today will yesterday's end of day backup be sufficient to recover everything? Either on its' own standalone merits or along with some accompanying inclusions of any data changes made this morning? Those morning changes being copied and backed up on an ongoing basis. Does IT have the resources to execute such a recovery? What needs to be done? Documentation, SOP's, notifications, contingencies....

From the link:

"Synthetic full backup
A synthetic backup combines the last full backup with subsequent incrementals to provide a full that is always up to date. Synthetic full backups are easy to restore from, but also do not overly tax the network during the backup itself because only changes are transmitted. There is, however, a processing overhead at the backup server."

Processing overhead - operationally understood. Financially means more $$$.

My view from way afar is that a synthetic full backup may be a solution. Seems to balance the requirements somewhat - there may well be details and other factors that prove that (and me) to be wrong.

Diagram the requirements. Start with something like:

Windows Server 2019 host with 280 G of data =====> daily, end of day full 280 G backup =====> Azure blob host.

However, you do not want to, as I understand it, do a daily full backup of all 280 G. Just the 500 M of changes.

Windows Server 2019 host with 280 G of data =====> daily, end of day incremental 500 M backup =====> Azure blob host.

Where =====> represents the applicable network/communication paths being used. I would include all devices in the diagrammed plan. Any could fail.

You must really take a broader view these days: Your server fails. Building power lost - indefinitely. What if the Azure host goes down, what if the communications are gone, How much does it cost your company per day if data is lost and slow to be restored? What keeps you awake at night?

"No worries" does not apply to IT.

Backups are important and necessary. But not enough. Consider a broader disaster recovery plan that brings all of your IT resources to bear when problems occur. You only need to watch current events & news to know that things can go bad at any time for any number of reasons.

The costs of a disaster recovery plan could be high. Likely less than what it could cost without an operational plan in place and regularly tested. (Common oversight.)

Think about it all, brainstorm, plan. The plan will never be perfect (Murphy lives) but something is better than nothing. And the plan must be able to evolve.

Also: there may be other ideas and suggestions posted. Even to correct some error of omission or commission on my part. I have no problems with that.

So now consider your plan. Put the pieces together, step back, and get a sense of it all.

Keep filling in the missing pieces. I think the appropriate tools will reveal themselves.

Dec 10, 2022
Ralston, all your advice is helpful and will be taken into consideration
and to short the time , we will try Macrium from this list
This is what I found on your site :
Macrium Reflect
Easeus
Acronis
Freefilesync
Allwaysync
Gs Richcopy360
Goodsync
AOEMI Backupper
Teracopy
Resilio
It has a good user reviews for a similar cases

USAFRet

Titan
Dec 10, 2022
Really I find Macrium easy and full-featured, and also other tools that we took a look at and found easy and simple, Allwaysync and Gs Richcopy360.
I think Macrium is enough to work with us now.