Tool to prevent battery from constantly charging

arc95

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Working from home on an ASUS G701 Win 10 Pro laptop. I'm worried that with it plugged in, the battery will keep getting a current and lose its capacity over time. So I keep plugging/unplugging as it fully charges; very annoying. Is there an automated tool to keep a battery from getting fried? I wish I could remove the battery and just go straight off the wall outlet.

[P.S. I looked at the battery s/w from ASUS and it's for some other of their laptops.]

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The battery won't 'fry', and batteries, once they've reached 100% charge, will only drain/recharge slightly.

Unplugging/plugging back in is completely unnecessary in this case.

I don't believe you're going to find any tool/software that's going to do what you want - as modern batteries are designed to do so by default.

I wish I could remove the battery and just go straight off the wall outlet.

Is there any reason you cannot? While it's completely unnecessary and cumbersome, removing the battery should be achieveable?

Reactions: arc95
Keeping lithium batteries at 100% can reduce their life. It’s not that they keep receiving a charge but from what I read it’s a higher stress state for the battery. My Dell G5 has a specific battery option for users who predominantly use the laptop plugged in and it cuts off from memory at 80 or 90%.

Reactions: arc95

arc95

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Keeping lithium batteries at 100% can reduce their life. It’s not that they keep receiving a charge but from what I read it’s a higher stress state for the battery. My Dell G5 has a specific battery option for users who predominantly use the laptop plugged in and it cuts off from memory at 80 or 90%.

Thanks, @sizzling and @Barty1884. I guess either a laptop comes with that feature or not. The Dell came with it.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
IIRC, if you wanted to get the absolute best possible lifespan out of a battery, you'd never "drain" it, nor fully charge. From memory, you'd want to keep it's capacity >20% and <80% at all times (although might be off on those % numbers).

How old is the laptop/battery currently?

I remember reading a report/study, but it was on cellphones opposed to laptops (but still lith-ion).
With the way people typically use phones, drain it all day/fully charge at night and it sits fully charged for hours before the user removes it from the charge...... the results were something like 70-80% of the battery life available after ~2 years. And that's with daily drain/charge cycles.

Proprietary software exists, but your (slightly) prolonging the inevitable. Once your laptop is ~5 years old, after seeing fairly regular use/charges, you should probably be looking at replacing the battery, regardless of how well the charge/drain cycles have been monitored/implemented.

arc95

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
IIRC, if you wanted to get the absolute best possible lifespan out of a battery, you'd never "drain" it, nor fully charge. From memory, you'd want to keep it's capacity >20% and <80% at all times (although might be off on those % numbers).

How old is the laptop/battery currently?

I remember reading a report/study, but it was on cellphones opposed to laptops (but still lith-ion).
With the way people typically use phones, drain it all day/fully charge at night and it sits fully charged for hours before the user removes it from the charge...... the results were something like 70-80% of the battery life available after ~2 years. And that's with daily drain/charge cycles.

Proprietary software exists, but your (slightly) prolonging the inevitable. Once your laptop is ~5 years old, after seeing fairly regular use/charges, you should probably be looking at replacing the battery, regardless of how well the charge/drain cycles have been monitored/implemented.

Thanks, @Barty1884 . The laptop is about 2 years old. It runs like a charm but it'll require a fresh battery in a few years.

TRENDING THREADS