[SOLVED] Tool to scan HD - to detect if has something wrong.

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
I have the opportunity to buy a laptop of second hand in well state from a member of my family. My unique concern is the HD.

What is the best tool recommendation to install or mostly to load through a Live USB to scan quickly the HD to detect if has something wrong.
For example bad cluster for HDD - and the equivalent for a SSD - it about its cells.

The tool should be free, work for either laptop or PC Desktop and must work for either HDD or SSD. I prefer the Live USB - .iso - approach (to be added through Ventoy)

If exists two tools, one for SSD and HDD let me know - I can use Ventoy in Peace.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Get crystal disk info, it shows you the smart info of the disk so you can see how many hours it was on and if and how many bad sectors it has, ssd or hdd doesn't make any difference.

Any more than that would be to scan the whole sourface of the disk which would take many hours to complete on a large disk.

Also hdd/ssd are cheap, so even if it breaks down it's not such a big problem, just take an image of the disk with a cloning tool as soon as you get it and store it on an external media to keep windows.
Get crystal disk info, it shows you the smart info of the disk so you can see how many hours it was on and if and how many bad sectors it has, ssd or hdd doesn't make any difference.

Any more than that would be to scan the whole sourface of the disk which would take many hours to complete on a large disk.

Also hdd/ssd are cheap, so even if it breaks down it's not such a big problem, just take an image of the disk with a cloning tool as soon as you get it and store it on an external media to keep windows.

Reactions: Manuel Jordan
Solution

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022

Thanks for the quick reply. Just in case, it about this one https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/ , right?