Question Tools for electroplating

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
I am currently setting up a watercooling loop with copper pipes. I want to try electroplating the copper with nickel.
What tools do you guys recommend to do this?

Lutfij

Titan
Might want to start here. You might want to see if the pipes can be sourced from Aliexpress, in case your supplies will cost a lot more than the project. As per your cooling ambitions, mind sharing your entire project/build log with us? Perhaps your project can be streamlined...?

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
My system was previously water cooled with a Vega Frontier Edition. I switched the Vega for an RTX 3090 and got around to adding a water block to it. But when I switched to an RTX 3090 initially there were no waterblocks. So I did a quick and dirty loop with flex tubing for my cpu.
I am using an inWin 905. Msi x370 titanium with an EKWB monoblock. I have a Bitspower 360mm and 120mm rad. This is what came from my previous loop. Newly added are 6 Noctua IPCW-2000 fans, Byksi gpu cooler for an RTX 3090, and Byksi distribution plate for an inWin 905. I am using PrimoChill UV Red fittings for 1/2" OD rigid tubing.
For the copper I am using 3/8" type L that I am annealing then bending. I did underestimate the amount I would need as 6ft wasn't enough.
The copper isnt new to me, but bending it and electroplating it is. So I don't really want to diary my failures if they happen.
The color scheme is nickel/gray and red. I was thinking about painting the pipes red rather than electroplating.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
Annealing fail. Got it looking cherry red, but still snapped when I went to bend it filled with sand. Must not have been hot enough =/ I think I will just sweat on some fittings and paint it red.