Question Toothpaste for cooling

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
and bonus is when CPU gets warm PC has a nice fresh minty smell .. lol Ive seen video on youtube (jays two cents) and they use several things such as the filling from a Oreo cookie, peanut butter, toothpaste etc.. most surprisingly worked well, reall question id imagine is for how long .. but for a small amount of time I'm sure all kinds of stuff would work

Oct 15, 2019
and bonus is when CPU gets warm PC has a nice fresh minty smell .. lol Ive seen video on youtube (jays two cents) and they use several things such as the filling from a Oreo cookie, peanut butter, toothpaste etc.. most surprisingly worked well, reall question id imagine is for how long .. but for a small amount of time I'm sure all kinds of stuff would work
Yeah it's been OK for me had it like it for 2 days temps sit at about 35c unless it's under a stress test wouldn't want to run the pc like this for long tho as toothpaste is corrosive

Oct 13, 2019
Use gel like toothpaste plus 25% Vaseline it can last up to 6 months as makeshift thermal paste for a mid-low CPU. I tried that on a Athlon X4 750K PC and it lasted for almost a year.

Oct 13, 2019
Pulling this straight out of my nether regions, but instead of toothpaste if you put a flat bottom glass of water on top of the CPU, you get a water cool system! Dont take word for it though lol.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Pulling this straight out of my nether regions, but instead of toothpaste if you put a flat bottom glass of water on top of the CPU, you get a water cool system! Dont take word for it though lol.

Except that glass is an insulator and would be extremely prohibitive in transferring thermal energy very well.

Even if it were a metal tumbler, once the water began to absorb thermal loads, evaporation and natural convection take place far too slowly for this to be very effective for very long.