Top 25 Cryptocurrencies By Market Cap (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Stewart

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Let me just say this: in case of a massive Internet blackout worldwide,and there will be one, these so called ''coins'' will be erased from existence instantly, all of them. well by that time there will be less than 10 of them. Sadly thou after the internet blackout. we will see a completely new type of internet 2.0 so to speak. The peer to peer cash system is meant to make the internet a better place, but because of just that, it will make a nightmare out of it.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
great article however there is one major problem with it, such as wich of those coins would be profitable mining withm na gpu and weather or not any of them prefer radeon amd cards vs nvidia cards for gpu mining

daimono

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
@MIKE STEWART

Merely a network blackout is not sufficient to cause nothing of the sort. An event that would be enough to erase all bitcoins would most likely erase every other financial record of any type as well. An event of that scale would obliterate the value of any solid form of currency, gold included, as well.

It's like planning for what you will do after you die.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
F**** miners, buying out hardware and causing shortages at suppiliers. Some douchebag who probably didnt even make a math to see if its profitable for him and makes a mining ring "cus its coool" buys out all GPU's and then people cant finish their simple gaming builds.

barraccuda

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
@TEAMSWITCHER do you realize USA prints money, despite they gold reserves are long gone and they needed several years ago to add a new numeric spot for the display that shows the amount of their debt? nowadays, there is no worth in money whatsever...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Everyone prints money. Why? Because attaching the value of your currency to gold (or any other commodity) is just a bad idea. This is one of the few things nearly all economists agree on.

The big difference between countries like the USA and countries with hyperinflation is the US has an independent central bank. Doing away with the Federal Reserve would hand control of the currency directly to politicians, which is a sure recipe for economic chaos. Bringing back the gold standard wouldn't fix this.

As for crypto currencies, there are basically two ways to use them. You can use them as an investment, hoping they'll appreciate in value. Bitcoin is good for this (unless it crashes), since the supply is finite. The other way is to use them purely for transactions, for which Ethereum is better. In the second case, as long as you don't hold the crypto currency for long term, there's little risk.

The thing that bothers me about blockchain is that I don't see how it can economically reach large enough scale to be practical for any significant fraction of transactions. Ethereum might be fine for real estate transactions, but we won't be using it to buy a pack of gum.

bloodroses

Distinguished
And now the bottom is coming out as the value of all cryptocoins has just dropped over 20%. Other countries of the world are backing away from it; or straight up banning it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/05/bitcoin-dips-another-200-after-chinas-cryptocurrency-crackdown.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2017/09/05/russian-central-bank-puts-its-foot-down-on-crypto-currency/#3b5c77fda169

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/04/chinese-icos-china-bans-fundraising-through-initial-coin-offerings-report-says.html

Just like confederate money, these too will soon be worthless. That's what happens when there's nothing to back it. So much for your 'free money'. Maybe now people will actually be able to use (and afford) video cards for what they're originally intended for instead of paying 200%+ prices for them.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Oh sweetheart....

I can assure you I "did the math," and I can further assure you that I am making a VERY healthy profit (And have been since college).

But yeah I feel bad you couldn't buy a toy you think the world owes you /s

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

And they already bounced back lol. Man you people need to get over it - they are here to stay.

"Confederate Money" - you mean paper money?

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

DASH already solved this problem.

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007

This would be like saying... We are gonna run out of fossil fuels and therefore we shouldn't bother making new cars. Crypto currency is here to stay. Why..? Because there's a big paradigm shift that people are beginning to realize how much they are being robbed by the banksters and their FIAT currency.

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007

It would be your job to find out which coins are profitable. I have yet to find a major [ALT] coin that doesn't support both video cards and only caters to one. There are even ASIC devices such as Bitman Antminer and some have figured out how to make raspberry pie mine. The crypto market is new and evolving. One must learn to evolve with it or at least be creative.

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007

Most governments, companies, and people fear and hate what they do not understand. Crypto currency is decentralized, which is why governments and companies hate it. It's revolutionary because is cuts out the middle man in financial transactions. In other words, they aren't able to steal money from people as they do with everything else in the form of "tax".

Those news sources are famous for reporting fake news. The news media can't be trusted as reliable source of information.

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007

This is a skewed point of view, but whatever works! Yes! You should join us in mining! Don't you wanna free yourself from the FIAT currency slavery?

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007

As of now, the price of ONE bitcoin is equal to $4,514.33. You misunderstand the value of crypto currency. Trying to explain it to you would be pointless as it's obvious your "cup is already full".

Neuspeed

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 24, 2007

If you think there's no practicality, it is because you're still holding onto the FIAT currency paradigm that's so engraved into most.

The reason why most economist and analyst agree is because they are on the payroll of the people and companies who perpetuate this biased money system. If money was still tied to gold (as it once was), then the banks and governments could NOT easily pull money out of their moderated for language that is backed up by NOTHING, as they currently have been doing since 1933. For instance, say you walk into a bank and you ask for a $5,000 loan. When the bank gives you the $5,000, the amount of $5,000 comes into existence at that very moment. The bank doesn't even have the amount since you sign a paper stating you'll pay back. So basically you are working hard on a daily basis to pay back for money that is backup by NOTHING, didn't exist until you asked to borrow it.

Just because "everyone" agrees on any given topic or thing doesn't mean is the CORRECT one. You should study and understand some history. Look at executive order 6102; AKA Gold Act of 1933. The US government literally STOLE gold from people under the pretext that it was for the "best". It's now known that J.P. Morgan Chase was influential in causing the market crash of early 1907, as most banksters quietly existed the market before the crash.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Not necessarily and not entirely. Retail banks don't create the money, themselves, can't simply decide to issue an arbitrarily large amount of loans. Central banks (who do create money) avoid creating money beyond their inflation targets. Before I get out of my depth, I'll refer you to better resources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Money_creation

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Oh, they do understand it, and don't exactly hate it. I'm sure the NSA and FBI run blockchain nodes of every major cryptocurrency, since it gives them a realtime feed of all financial transactions in those coins. Want to buy or sell cryptocurrency? In most countries, exchanges must be registered and have as much info about you as your bank would.

Secondly, it doesn't cut out the middle man - just uses miners and exchanges instead of banks.

Finally, it is taxed. Different countries treat it differently. In the US, it's treated as an asset. If you use it in a transaction, you need to account for any gain/loss you experience, as a result of the change in exchange rate between when you acquired it and when you sold/exchanged it. This is on top of any sales tax the transaction might carry. It's not exactly unfair, because while you pay more tax in the event of a gain, you can use your losses to write down your other tax liabilities.

Speaking of reliable sources of information... you're really not doing anyone a service, much less actually helping your cause, by spreading misinformation.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away from crypto currencies. Just take your time and educate yourself a bit better than this, before getting involved with them.

ElMojoMikeo

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
I was under the impression that Bitcoin was devised to eliminate the BIS in Switzerland. Which is the true clearing house of all Banks. It was written by a member of Anonymous to lever away some of their power.

MxMatrix

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Just a matter of time now before there is a flaw is found and bitcoin gets hacked. Brute GPU power can be set to mine ... and other things.

antishill

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Crypto currency will have as much value as mail-in rebates, coupons, in-game gold, glimmer, gil, etc. or raffle tickets in very short order. The BBs you get at pachinko parlors will have more value, because it is only a matter of time before everyone and their grandma wil want to push their own crypto currency, and guess what they will be worth all about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.