Question Top and rear intake/exhaust ?

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Hi guys

After 10 (TEN!) years I finally decided to change my pc fans and I feel incredibly stupid now for playing with noisy fans for over a decade.
Now everything is silent which is perfect but before frying my system I want to know something I never thought about.

I only got a back and top fan ! No front or side.

Both my fans have always been intake for 10 years which I doubt is the best method.
Which method would work best for me having only top and rear ?

Thanks !

Top and rear fans should almost always be exhaust. I say "almost" because there are some niche configurations and form factors out there that make it hard to say "always", but honestly, they should "always" be if this is a tower mATX or ATX case.

Front, side and bottom fan locations should be intake. Top and rear should be exhaust. Unless this is an OEM case or one that is VERY old, it would be highly unusual for there to not be at least one intake fan location either on the front, bottom or side. What case do you have?

Coryn94

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2015
Top and rear fans should almost always be exhaust. I say "almost" because there are some niche configurations and form factors out there that make it hard to say "always", but honestly, they should "always" be if this is a tower mATX or ATX case.

Front, side and bottom fan locations should be intake. Top and rear should be exhaust. Unless this is an OEM case or one that is VERY old, it would be highly unusual for there to not be at least one intake fan location either on the front, bottom or side. What case do you have?
Hi

The case is 9 years old so I would have no idea but I can only see a fan at the top and in the rear sadly. Nothing in the front at all, nor at the bottom.

Can you post a picture of the case? Front and inside front? Fans are only visible in front on some models out there. There are a lot of them that support front fans but you would never see them from the outside and they don't come preinstalled either. You have to add them yourself. Most cases only come, ever, with one or two fans installed, The rest are considered optional, even if they are more like "recommended".