Question Top case fans not lighting up all the time and power button flickering, related ?

Sep 9, 2021
I built my first PC about a month ago and I've had some problems with the fan lights and the power button light. I have 3 RGB fans, but only the one in the front of the case lights up consistently. (it is in slot 1 of their LED hub). The other two, the top two, only light up sometimes. It's usually pretty random, I never know whether or not they'll turn on when I boot up the PC. They were actually working fine for about two weeks straight and then for the past few days stopped lighting up. When they do light up, they stay on and there's no flickering.

I've opened it up and checked the cables, they're plugged into the fan hub well, and I know the hub is working because one of them does light up every time. I don't know if maybe there's a pinched connection I made when I was doing cable management, but it's weird that it's so random whether or not they work and there is no flickering. The fans are Corsair LL120 RGBs, if that helps.

A few days ago, about the time the lights stopped lighting up again, I noticed that my case power light is flickering quite a bit when the PC is turned on. Didn't have an issue with this until now. I haven't checked the connection of the cable yet, but I'm not sure what may have changed. My desk is a college desk and it's kinda flimsy, it does shake a bit when I do anything on it, and my PC is resting on the desk, maybe I jostled something? Idk? It's just really weird that both the RGB of the fans and that light are having issues.

Here are the system specs:

AMD Ryzen 5600x CPU + Stock CPU cooler (Wraith Stealth)
MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti GPU
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz RAM
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB NVMe SSD
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower ATX Case
2 x 140mm case fans (non-rgb) that came with the case, plus the 3 Corsair RGB fans mentioned above
CORSAIR RM850x (850 Watt)
OS is Windows 10 Pro

It also has a PCIe wifi adapter (not being used right now, connected to ethernet), bluetooth usb adapter, and an optic drive. All parts are brand new and all drivers are up-to-date.

I was thinking maybe they're not getting enough power from the power supply, but I got a hefty PSU for my PC and it should be more than capable of handling the build. Other than that the PC is running fine. It seems pretty cosmetic but if there's something going on like faulty connections or the desk jostling I'd like to fix it. Plus it's just annoying. What are some things I should check? Could dust be an issue? Should I unplug and plug the things back in, or redo the cable management and check for twists? Again, just weird that these issues are inconsistent/ just now developing.

Any answers would be much appreciated! Thank you

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Does the PC have solid power connections to the wall outlet? Any interim connections such as a power strip or surge protector?

Sep 9, 2021
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Does the PC have solid power connections to the wall outlet? Any interim connections such as a power strip or surge protector?
Thanks for the reply! Post is now updated with PC specs, including PSU. PSU is brand new as well, it's only been used for the month I've had it. It is plugged into a power strip, but it doesn't seem to make a difference whether it is plugged into the wall or the power strip.