[SOLVED] Top fan as intake due to poor airflow in the front

Nevis

Commendable
Jun 22, 2020
Due to my case having a few spots where air can go in the front I decided to do 3 intake fans on the front, 1 intake fan on the top, and 1 exhaust fan on the back, will it greatly affect my temps negatively or positively if I turn the top fan into an exhaust?

Solution
It wont hurt to try it, as each case is different.
It is a shame we are seeing an increasing number of cases these days with solid front panels, considering cooling as a secondary priority.

Generally, youd want to avoid top intakes. Your processor will probably run cooler, but youll be forcing hot air from the processor down towards the GPU while also trapping GPU heat down as well. Plus, having sufficient intake is only part of the problem, you can flood a system with cool air but preventing it from venting hot air will eventually heat up the whole case.
It wont hurt to try it, as each case is different.
It is a shame we are seeing an increasing number of cases these days with solid front panels, considering cooling as a secondary priority.

Generally, youd want to avoid top intakes. Your processor will probably run cooler, but youll be forcing hot air from the processor down towards the GPU while also trapping GPU heat down as well. Plus, having sufficient intake is only part of the problem, you can flood a system with cool air but preventing it from venting hot air will eventually heat up the whole case.

Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Very few scenarios where that setup is actually good, because of the gpu.
-blower
-hybrid cooled, mounted as front intake
-custom liquid

If the gpu cooler isn't one of the above, skip top intake.
Why? Because the models I didn't list dump their waste heat inside your chassis, that runs into your top air intake, and will cause air to stagnate or create hot pockets.

Reactions: white.a.drew