Question Top half Black

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Re: Sanyo FW24E05F TV as computer monitor.

While attempting to set up an old spare computer (Compaq 6000), using a Sanyo 24 inch tv as a monitor, I have ended up with the top half of the screen being Black. My question is: Does that always mean that the some component of the "innards" has failed, or is it that I have screwed up the features/adjustments (I was using the button on that back inasmuch as I could not find its remote). When I first turned it on, it was full screen, but at some point top half went Black.

Note that it is an old tv that I replaced with a 32" inch and put it in the box of electronics to be recycled. To the best of my recollection (I am 78 years old with "moderate" White Matter Disease, so I do not remember for sure if a problem with the monitor was the impetus for getting a bigger screen or that I just wanted a bigger monitor), it was working alright when I replaced it.

In short if it is faulty, I will just box it for recycling. But if it was my screwing with the adjustments and my screw-up can be undone, I will continue to work on it.

I have since found its remote, so that can make it a bit easier to work with.

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Addendum: I left the afore mentioned tv/monitor running for a couple of hours. In short, the Black top-half disappeared and is full-screen now. That suggests to me that there is something hinky going on (sensitive to heat/cold) inside the circuits of the tv/monitor, not a screwup on my behalf.

I think I should look for a different tv/monitor for that computer.

Addendum, 1/26/2022, 9:51 AM
Started that computer this AM from being off all night. The top half of the monitor screen is Black again. Just some more evidence that it was not my messing with its set-up (aspect ratio, etc.), that caused the problem. It seems that some electrical component inside the monitor is faulty. Little doubt now.

Last edited: