Top PCI-E Slot not working

Ray Tsou

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014
So I recently acquired a used motherboard and i7 from family members (separately) and I slapped them onto my own pc. Problem is, I don't get any display when I plug my gpu into the top PCI-E slot. It only works in the bottom slot, which isn't that big of a deal besides the fact that it only runs in x4 mode (and it isn't much of a looker). I've already tried updating BIOS, to no avail. There's no option in the BIOS to disable the iGPU, plus the card works in the second slot, so I know it's not that. I've tried cleaning out the slot, but that didn't work either. The only thing I haven't tried is rebuilding the computer because the wires might possibly be causing shorts. So if anybody can please help me it would greatly be appreciated.

Specs:
i7-2600
Asus P8z68-v LX
r9 270x
corsair dominator lp ddr3-1600

Much thanks in advance.

Solution
* I forgot to edit my last sentence, borrow one from your friend.

You can try the PSU change and see if anything changes which will help you find closure if the board, PCI-E slot or system is having an issue or the card just like your system.

Lutfij

Titan
1| You should inspect that all the connections to your components are in order.
2| Remove the CMOS battery, replace it after 15 minutes and reflash your BIOS with the same BIOS version or one step lower.
3| You forgot to include your PSU, OS and the load out of your ram(in DIMMS and capacity).
4| Remove the CPU from it's socket and inspect for any bent or broken pins.

Ray Tsou

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014

I've borrowed my friend's GTX 580, and it works fine in the top slot. This leads me to believe that it's a BIOS problem, where it's not recognizing the newer 270.
The connections are fine.
I've already cleared the CMOS using the battery. I haven't tried reflashing yet.
PSU: EVGA 500W
RAM is in the second and fourth slots, where the 1st slot is the closest to the cpu and fourth is the farthest.
I'll check the CPU when everything else has been ruled out, because it's a pain to install the heatsink.

Also thanks for replying. I thought nobody would care since it's been over a month.

Ray Tsou

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014
Update: I just reflashed the BIOS, the 270 is still not working. But I have discovered that my dad's 260x works. This leads me to believe that it might just be the 270 that's not working, but my pool of available graphics cards for testing is too small to verify my hypothesis. Further testing is needed. Will update when I get the chance.

Edit: Just to clear things up, the 270 worked in another computer, so it's not broken.

scuzzycard

Honorable
Have you tried taking the motherboard out to see if the 270 works when it's outside of the case? As unlikely as it sounds, given that the other cards work in the top slot, I suspect that the 270 is not seating perfectly up there. I can't think of anything else.

Ray Tsou

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014

I've already tried plugging it in multiple times, it's not working. I don't really want to pull my entire motherboard out because that's quite a hassle. I might try that someday I have a lot of time though.
tbh, I'm probably just gonna sell the 270 and get my friend's 380x. Hopefully that works.
Anyways thanks for the help guys. Really appreciate it.

Lutfij

Titan
Thank you for following up with my questions and you're welcome ;)

I would ask you step back from the problem and take a few minutes to answer these questions:
1| Before you migrated to Windows 10 did you encounter the issue you've stated? Speaking of Windows 10's migration, how did you migrate? Via the free upgrade path of a legitimate licence key?

2| Before you compound the issue and leave much more to guess work it's best to get a hold of the needle before it gets lost in the hay stack ;)

3| One last bit would be to pass on the make of your GPU's since models may have revisions on them and it may also be possible that newer GPU's are requiring UEFI support which is possible enough for your GTX580 to work when the R9's aren't.

4| Have you tried installing your former OS onto another blank boot (physical)drive with your existing Windows 10 drive disconnected to see if the OS is your culprit?

Ray Tsou

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014

Sorry for the late reply, but:

1. The problem also existed before I upgraded to windows 10. And it's not just in windows, I don't see the POST and motherboard splash screen either. Basically when I turn the computer on, no signal gets sent to the monitor.

2. This isn't a question...?

3. This is the 270 i have: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131545
And yes, I put in the specs wrong in the main thread. It's a 270, not a 270x. Also UEFI shouldn't be a problem since my motherboard has a UEFI BIOS.

4. I've tried reinstalling windows 7, didn't work, and re-upgraded to windows 10, where it still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure it's not the operating system.

Lutfij

Titan
1| That would indicate a malfunctioning mobo or a PSU that can't deliver the right amount of power.

2| No, it was a suggestion :)

3| I stated the UEFI BIOS issue since one poster on another forum stated he couldn't get into BIOS unless he cleared his CMOS and set the BIOS mode to classic(non UEFI mode) in order to tinker with the rest of his BIOS options albeit he'd need to did in spontaneously otherwise the system would boot straight to desktop.

4| Seeing that the platform is dated you may be spending too much time on the forums trying to diagnose a near dead mobo. Perhaps as a last ditch effort try a different PSU than what you have which is rated for higher power delivery like a 650W unit of a reliable brand and see if the issue is persistent. Without buying one, borrow one from your PSU.

Ray Tsou

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014

Well, the thing is, a gtx 580 and a r7 260x works fine in the mobo. Plus the 270 works fine in the lower slot. So I think it's just the 270's problem. But my guess is as good as anyone else's at this point, since I do not have a large enough pool of graphic cards to make a conclusion.
I'll just stick with this platform for another 2 years and do a full upgrade. Thanks for the help tho.

EDIT: it also can't be a psu issue because the gtx 580 works fine, which uses wayyy more power than a 270.

Lutfij

Titan
* I forgot to edit my last sentence, borrow one from your friend.

You can try the PSU change and see if anything changes which will help you find closure if the board, PCI-E slot or system is having an issue or the card just like your system.

Solution

1992.a.salam

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

Did you manage to solve your problem? I have the same problem with my GTX 1060. this is my facebook id. please reply: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014847812674

Nov 9, 2020
So I recently acquired a used motherboard and i7 from family members (separately) and I slapped them onto my own pc. Problem is, I don't get any display when I plug my gpu into the top PCI-E slot. It only works in the bottom slot, which isn't that big of a deal besides the fact that it only runs in x4 mode (and it isn't much of a looker). I've already tried updating BIOS, to no avail. There's no option in the BIOS to disable the iGPU, plus the card works in the second slot, so I know it's not that. I've tried cleaning out the slot, but that didn't work either. The only thing I haven't tried is rebuilding the computer because the wires might possibly be causing shorts. So if anybody can please help me it would greatly be appreciated.

Specs:
i7-2600
Asus P8z68-v LX
r9 270x
corsair dominator lp ddr3-1600

Much thanks in advance.
Same thing happen to me i guess I have to get a new motherboard I can't figure out why