[SOLVED] Top PCIe slot not working with 3700X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelsims10

Commendable
Jan 5, 2019
I picked up parts for 2 builds recently (not gpus) so have some extra hardware to test with. I got a ryzen 7 3700x and 2 asus tuf motherboards (b450-pro II(probably) and x570 pro wifi). My second cpu hasn't arrived yet so I cant test that yet.

The issue is that with BOTH boards, my graphics card (gtx 1070) will not be detected in the top slot but works in the second (4x mode though). I updated the bios on both boards to the latest non-beta versions (even though they should be fine out of the box) with no luck. I changed PCIE modes from gen4 to gen3 and even gen 1, no luck. I got chipset drivers, nothing. I tried booting with my 1070 and a super old amd card in the second, and it outputs only through the old card.

In device manager it says there is an unknown display device (or something like that) which cannot get drivers, from windows or from nvidia directly. The x570 board has Q-led and is getting stuck on a white light for VGA, the b450 just power cycles. The top slot does get power at least, which leads me to think it's the cpu.

I checked for bent pins, no problem there. I ensured there was nothing shorting pins both on the cpu and running the whole system on the motherboard box (not the bag don't worry). I ran with only the essentials plugged in, no drives only power and video out, still nothing. I updated GPU firmware as a longshot and that didn't work. I'm a bit out of ideas to be honest
If it's the CPU I'm pretty screwed because I got it second hand, though that also means I am willing to try some... questionable methods.
Thanks

Look for a knocked-off component on the front of the card by the connector. Typically poor handling leads to it.
karta-3-jpg.149748

kelsims10

Commendable
Jan 5, 2019
Issue is only with the 3700x, no matter the board or GPU the top slot doesn't work. Tried with a friend's 1500x and the slot was working, no bent or broken pins. Got a feeling something is catastrophically wrong with the CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.