[SOLVED] Top PCIE slot not working

Jan 18, 2021
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H

I pulled an old build of mine out of the cupboard about a year and half ago and booted it up. Smoke started spewing out of the graphics card (MSI 4G GTX 970) and the graphics card stopped working. Pulled out a GTX 960 (04G-P4-1962-KR ) and slotted it into the top PCIe slot where the 970 was and the system did not boot (some burn marks on the top PCIe slot). Plugged the 960 to the other PCIe (x4) slot and everything worked fine. No weird noises. Temps are normal. Switched out the PSU a few months later. It's been a year and half and it is still working fine. However, the system was used intermittently (once or twice a week) for light gaming (Witcher 3 and Apex Legends). It didn't really dawn on me at the moment that it might be unsafe to continue using the motherboard since the system was going to be used sparingly. But the system is about to see more usage (almost everyday) and I was wondering if it would be safe to continue using this motherboard.

Last edited:
Solution
There's really no telling. The PCI-Ex16 (x4) slot may continue to work just fine for the rest of the system's life span or it may be ready to burn out just like the top PCI-Ex16 slot did. There's also no way of knowing why the top slot burned out the way it did. Poor power supply? Short between the board and the motherboard tray, failed component? No way to say for sure.

Personally, I wouldn't trust it.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
There's really no telling. The PCI-Ex16 (x4) slot may continue to work just fine for the rest of the system's life span or it may be ready to burn out just like the top PCI-Ex16 slot did. There's also no way of knowing why the top slot burned out the way it did. Poor power supply? Short between the board and the motherboard tray, failed component? No way to say for sure.

Personally, I wouldn't trust it.

-Wolf sends

Solution