Top pentesting laptops under $1700?

Nov 30, 2019
  1. I'll be doing some programming as well.
  2. I'm not going to be gaming with this device.
  3. I have looked into Thinkpad P43s; seems like a good option but I've no idea about NVIDIA Quadro P520 GPU.
  4. I prefer slim ultrabooks but it seems most 13" and 14" laptops have either intel 620 UHD or intel iris plus (since these are integrated Idk if they are any good for pentesting).
  5. Need at least 7-8 hrs of battery life
  6. Looking for something reliable and durable since I'll be traveling a lot.
  7. I don't care for 4K display
*I will be really grateful if anyone helps me out with these issues and suggest me a good laptop, TIA.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What OS and tools do you intend to use? The Lenovo you mentioned would be a solid choice. For any laptop purchased, I would recommend you completely wipe and install Windows (full, clean) on it. This removes all OEM installed apps (if sticking to Windows).

The Quadro will be good for when you need additional GPU performance, otherwise the system will use the Intel integrated video adapter for most uses.

Also, Nvidia device support is well supported across Linux distros.

Reactions: RogueNineOne
Nov 30, 2019
What OS and tools do you intend to use? The Lenovo you mentioned would be a solid choice. For any laptop purchased, I would recommend you completely wipe and install Windows (full, clean) on it. This removes all OEM installed apps (if sticking to Windows).

The Quadro will be good for when you need additional GPU performance, otherwise the system will use the Intel integrated video adapter for most uses.

Also, Nvidia device support is well supported across Linux distros.
I will be running Windows 10 Home, and Kali on vmware. Also, I'm thinking, since the P43s has a dedicated GPU it's likely to drain the battery more so...I was also considering the Thinkpad X1 carbon 7th Gen. Any thought on that?

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The X1 is an okay choice, too. Really up to you.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Nvidia's power consumption. It would only get used when video/graphics processing requires its use. Under normal operations, it is not used.

Reactions: RogueNineOne
Nov 30, 2019
The X1 is an okay choice, too. Really up to you.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Nvidia's power consumption. It would only get used when video/graphics processing requires its use. Under normal operations, it is not used.
Thank you very much for your suggestion...I think I'll go for the P43s